What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

campanulata a pain to root - but won't die

schloaty

Staff member
Ok, this is weird. I am trying to root a campanulata pup - it's been about a month (I know that's early, but wait, there's more).

There is not a HINT of root developement, BUT the cutting is pitchering!

What's up with THAT?

???

Isn't it true that some species won't produce roots sometimes, but live completely normally?
I think that it's usually epiphytes though.

you must have a faulty pup! ill take it off your hands for you since it aint gonna do anything for you :) jkjk i had a a cutting take over 2 months to root...by then though it made 2 pitchers and 3 leaves :D
Alex

schloaty,
I took a cutting from my N. campanulata by mistake thinking that the stem was turning brown. I used pure perlite, allowing the water level to drop before topping up to 50% again. The cutting rooted in less than 3 weeks, under florescent lighting for 12 hours each day.

Hi Cindy,

Have to buy some perlite!

Thanks for the tip.

Hey Dave,
The pup I got from you is pitchering just fine. I figured it had rooted?
It seems quite happy so I won't mess with it.
JMatt

yeah I think neps can absorb water through there leaves so if it had leaves and noi roots it could still get water if it was humid. plus cps get therte nutrient frominsects not the soil so a nep cutting pitchering before forming roots isnt that bizzare.

plus cps get therte nutrient frominsects not the soil
Neg. Neps absorb nutrients quite well through their roots (though better through the pitchers). Their soils are usually deficient in essential nutrients, but can be quite high in trace nutrients like magnesium, etc. There are also ultrapotassic ultramafic rocks, which I wouldn't be surprised if neps grew in those, since they are usually found with "normal" ultramafic rock IIRC.

Well I guess if you can get something into the pitchers like a very weak hydroponics fertilizer since it contains alot of macros and micros complete for plant growth if you ph adjusted the fertilizer and use a 10% strengh ..
Phission if you think this is stupid :poke: me

I don't know if adjusting pH would be necessary. JLAP used to put diluted terracycle directly into the pitchers, and I sometimes put Oscomote pellets (which have micro/macro IIRC) directly into the pitchers. If you try that, you should be careful not to do it too often. I'd say wait at least a week, preferably more between feeding pitchers on the same plant. Also, you should wait at least a week before feeding a pitcher the first time after it opens up. I don't feed the same pitcher w/ Osmocote more than once.

As I've said before, neps take up nutrients best in this order: pitchers > roots > leaves.

Back