What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mushrooms?

Anyone ever have mushrooms grow up out of their LFS in their nep pots? They don't seem to be hurting anything that I can tell, but I still gave the pots a good spray with fungicide.

Are you using orchid bark in your nep mix or is it just straight lfs?

just LFS. I think there are some sticks and the like in the LFS which is what they are growing from. I usually leave that stuff in the LFS when I pot as I figure that adds some drainage and all.

Actually I am considering in the future adding some more orchid bark content in my neps. Right now, unless the plant is "old" I just use straight LFS.

I think you're right about the sticks. I asked because it's not uncommon for me to get a 'shroom or two in my orchid pots in the summer when it's really humid. Generally, mushrooms are only interested in dead material so they shouldn't bother your neps. If you get a LOT of them they might release a lot of nutrients by decomposing the media. The neps may or may not like that. In any case, at least you know the humidity is high!

Were I you, I'd wait a couple days, repot, and give another spray with fungicide. They may not be hurting, but they sure as hell ain't helping, so just get rid of them.

Back