What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. muluensis x lowii

Ok, I haven't seen a pitcher on this plant in over a year. Any ideas? It grows in a 4" pot of straight LFS under shop lights like the rest of my neps. The temps were a bit on the warm side this summer, staying right around 80degs constantly. Now that it is winter it is a bit cooler, but the heat in my place goes straight up to the second floor unfortunately.

The only other plant I haven't ever seen squat on is my talangensis, but I haven't quite had that one as long...

What is the humidity?
Do you have other highland nepenthes that are pitchering in the same growing conditions?
Are you getting good leaf growth?

yep. I have fusca, spectabilis, sanguinea and everthing else on my grow list in the same area. Granted I don't have any real ultra-highlanders though.

Both are growing new leaves, the talangensis particularly. it has tons of tendrils that are hanging down, just no inflation. The m x l I think is doing its normal thing of being slow. It's just the length of time since I have seen a pitcher on it.

im still trying to find whats wrong....mine was bombproof. it took uber low humidity and pitchered and grew great leaves. it suffered from burns from the new stronger lights i put in. it went through 3 repottings....and it never stopped growing or pitcher it. since may last year it was only missed one pitcher. and that one touched the lights so it sizzled out. the only problem i ever had with it is how long the leaves last for me (they didnt last very long. before it was in the terrarium it only had like 5 leaves at any given time and they were arranged in a way that they looked like a star) and the way the pitchers formed. a week or so before they opened the lid stopped growing and so it was always too small. now that its in higher humidity the lids form properly.

and for your talangensis. give it humidty. it never pitchered for me in the lower humidity.

Alex

EDIT: AFAIK there are 4 clones of muluensis x lowii. we may have different clones. and you and PK may have the same clones :D and your right about the slow growth. its faster than my lowii but it takes FOREVER for it to fully make a pitcher. FOREVER!!! each one is worth it though...

It sounds WAY too hot for them. Even though N. muluensis x lowii may be a "bombproof" hybrid, given its parentage (both species come from >2000m elevation) I think it would need nights in the 50's or low 60's to do well long term. Same goes for the talangensis. I also live in Atlanta and I have identical conditions to you. My house temperature hovers around 80 in the summer, even at night. The fact that you are growing N. fusca and N. spectabilis (considered iffy in lowland conditions) sucessfully gives me hope that I will be able to grow a few highlands and lowland x highland hybrids. How low do your winter night temps go? If you have a solid 6 months or so of night temps in the high 50's/low 60's you should have good luck with some of the less picky highland species and just about any lowland x highland hybrid.

slurm,

not even close. I am sitting in my office/plant room/herp room and I am slightly uncomfortable. my place is a furnace. I don't even have the heat on.

Alex, has your talang pitchered yet?? I remember u said it isn't pitchering. Mine is still sitting there as well. its growing. But no ballooning. :(

Same goes for my Talangensis. It keeps forming new leaves and tendrils even, but no pitchers. All of my other highlanders (except my rajah) are pitchering. My night temps are good, and my humidity is good, but nada... Perhaps my media is too wet? If I recall correctly I may have used a bit too much peat.

honestly, I was considering repotting everything anyway, from straight LFS to half LFS and orchid bark.

Back