What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes faizaliana

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
01890013.jpg

01720022.jpg

01890009.jpg

01890010.jpg

Doesn't that nectar just make you drool?

very nice! looks like the real one too!!
Alex

Very nice pics =D. The tempting nectar of doom drop =). Your plant looks very happy and healthy. Thanks for sharing :).

Nice plant! But that is a young N. fusca 'Sarawak' for sure.

-Ben

How can you tell for sure? I don't know anything about differentiating the two, so any insight would be much appreciated.

Beautiful pitchers. Very nice pink tint. If it is a N. fusca 'Sarawak' then I would have to say I prefer young ones to the more mature ones.

xvart.

I think the lid on faizaliana should be triangular. Even though theres not a good pic of them straight on or anything, I think the leaves look fusca sarawaky

That is definitely fusca 'Sarawak' The confusion over this particular plant lays in a mis-ID at ABG years and years ago.

I think the lid on faizaliana should be triangular. Even though theres not a good pic of them straight on or anything, I think the leaves look fusca sarawaky

Hmm, when I researched this I thought I read that the true N. faizaliana has the orbicular lids. Let me see if I can find the reference again. The cutting is from Ed Read at CSUF.

Trust me, that plant is fusca "Sarawak". :) I'd put good money that Ed got it straight from ABG before the confusion got straightened out.

K, I'll let Ed know if he hasn't relabled already. Ed gave us the cuttings back in June '07. Thanks.

Anyway from Chien Lee's website:

Nepenthes fusca

This species is easily distinguished from most other Sarawak species by the very narrow triangular lid, though upper pitchers of the much rarer N. hurrelliana also have this characteristic. From the latter species its upper pitchers differ in having a more vertically-oriented mouth and a non-hooked glandular crest on the underside of the lid.

The lid character is better observed on a mature plant:

Intermediate pitcher:

ABGfuscaintermediateandleaf050406.jpg

ABGfuscaintermediate050406profile.jpg

ABGfuscaintermediate050406front.jpg

Upper (bad focus...):

ABGfuscaupper050406.jpg

Awesome! Reminds me of this bad baby with a narrow triangular top:
queenie.jpg

LOL

lol. I think we all need one of those in our collections, NAN. Maybe I'll have to watch the trade forums more closely!

xvart.

Follow-up: Yep - N. fusca "Sarawak"
IMGP2885.jpg

That's disappointing. Still a beautiful looking plant though.

Back