What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing N. bical in a north-facing window/permanent indirect light

I currently have my N. bical growing on an east-facing window that gets a few hours of direct morning sun. It pitchers and currently needs a re-potting, but I'll be moving to a new home within the next month where I plan to grow the plant in an office window (mostly north facing) that gets about 45 minutes to an hour of direct sunlight in the afternoons. Besides that, it's mostly just moderate to bright indirect light.

I've been reading for years that N. bicals grow in full shade in the wild, but I'm a bit apprehensive since my plant has always received a good amount of direct sun. Will my plant suffer if I change it to a shady growing environment, or will it actually do the plant some good?

it might just have to adjust to the new climate and growing environment
no pitchers developing for awhile maybe.
but i doubt anything serious would happen to it.
i dont personally own a bical (i wish i did, its my favorite nep)
ive just done alot of research on em.

I have a N. bicalcarata in a terrarium in a north facing window with 2 T5 's on also and is doing great. Although this plant was started in these conditions. Your bical will probably have to acclimate to the new conditions. Your leaves will get a darker green as bicals growing in large amounts of light, foliage tends to be yellowish. It will probably stop pitchering and may lose existing pitchers depending on how much environment changed. Your bicals growth rate will also probably slow down due to lower light levels than used to.
Just be patient and like all Neps, give it time to acclimate. Its hard to say with bicals, sometimes they acclimate fast and somrtimes slow.

You still planning on moving to San Diego? Which area? It can get pretty cold at nights around here. My Bicalc is still a tiny plant, but I use a water heater for the tank that it's in. Do you grow all your plants in windowsills?

You still planning on moving to San Diego? Which area? It can get pretty cold at nights around here. My Bicalc is still a tiny plant, but I use a water heater for the tank that it's in. Do you grow all your plants in windowsills?

I'll officially be living in San Diego on February 1st, in the Mission Valley area. And yes, it can get pretty cold at night, but I don't want to abandon this plant without first giving it a go in our office, away from the immediate chill.

I grow most of my Nepenthes as windowsill plants, but for the most part they're all going to be growing outside on a patio in a month. I already have a few out there, and they're doing really well. I just don't trust my N. bical enough to try it outside, so inside it will stay.

I've never had much luck growing bicals in the windowsill. Just did not like the humidity fluctuations. Would grow great leaves but could not get to pitcher. Kept on my east facing widow/patio door for 18 months. As soon as I moved the same plant into my greenhouse with controlled constant high humidity, it pitchers on almost every leaf?? Have had limited success growing N bical outdoors in spring/summer but at times still had problems pitchering. I would assume due to fluctuating humidity as other factors did not change. I love N. bicalcarata, it is my most favorite lowland nepenthes. I lost a N bical to hurricane Ivan that was 20yrsold and had grow into the ground in my greenhouse at that time. I bet it had to be 10-15 ft vine. My greenhouse and anything I couldn't move (just a few plants) was lost due to the flooding/salt water. Also they would not allow you back to your property for 5 days, but it was all gone. Oh well!

Two of my bicalcarata plants receive bright light the entire day with 3 hours of direct sunlight from 4pm onwards, during the hot months. This season, they are putting out pitchers but are slower probably due to the lack of light at my balcony.

The third, being the largest, is keep further inside and does not pitcher now at all. During the hot months when the sun shifts back into position and lights up my balcony, it pitchers again.

The humidity at my balcony fluctuates between 40% to 90% this season, averaging around 70%.

Nepenthes need light to pitcher! Just because a plant grows in full shade in the wild does not necessarily mean it likes those conditions. A plant will adapt, anything will adapt over time, especially if done in easy and mild increments. Think of hardening off seedlings, same principle.

Like native hawaiin plant are slow in hawaii but could be invasive elsewhere :D

Back