What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Seeds to Germinate

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
So, this is probably no new idea, but I've been thinking. I've been trying to germinate some N. Viking seeds per PhissionKorps instructions on here. Has anybody ever followed his directions, and then set a thin layer of LFS on top of the seeds until they germinate to keep the localized humidity up and maybe hold in heat a bit, and then removed the LFS once germination has occurred, so that the moss doesn't choke out the seedlings?

Never tried it myself, but it might block out too much light. I'd put an extremely thin layer if you're going to try it. Not so much a layer, but more of a "lacing"....get my drift?

Yeah, thats what i had in mind
My media seems to keep drying fairly quickly, even with multiple mists each day and 60% humidity

try setting the pot in a shallow dish of water. I find that keeps them quite wet, but don't use it unless I'm trying to germinate swampy lowlanders.

Never tried it myself, but it might block out too much light. I'd put an extremely thin layer if you're going to try it. Not so much a layer, but more of a "lacing"....get my drift?

I would think that such small pieces would dry too quickly and then not serve the intended purpose. If you are really worried about humidity go to the grocery store and buy some of those deli plastic salad containers. It will block out some light, but less than LFS I would think.

xvart.

whats more important for germinating seeds

bottom heat or light?

Lowland seeds should be kept at the proper temperature.
I feel that light is one of the most important factors in getting all nep sees to germinate. The brighter, the better. Some people don't agree, but then 2 experiments were conducted that proved me right. Up to you I guess.

Back