What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pot size: Does it matter?

I understand, external factors (moisture, kind of media, airation, stress, etc) and the genetics of the plant determinate the root type and size...

So I will say: the only way to know how big the new pot for a nepenthes need to be is after repot 2 or 3 times the plant, on that way we should know how our plants root sistem is and wich one will be the perfect size for the next change...

Thanks for all the replies. So it sounds like the answer is: "It depends." :banana2:

Such is life. It all does depend.

I personally use a 12" pot for most things. I am not good at repotting every year unless the plant is on a decline or obviously has outgrown the pot. Peat is decomposed LFS anyway. If the plant looks fine I leave it alone. If it is on a decline then I check the roots. That is me. That is the way I grow. So whatever works for you. You must also keep in mind I grow in a GH with plenty of room. So a 12 inch hanging pot is no biggie for me. Of course I have a lot of smaller plants in smaller pots on the bench. I seamed to forget about those when I did my first post. I just don't believe in restricting the plant to a certain size pot. Now when I grow in a grow room in 09 I may be singing a different tune.

The bottom line is you need to learn to listen to the cues set off by your plant and act accordingly.

Back