What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
I received a N. Spectabilis a few months ago (probably a borneo exotics plant, I got it from a retailer that also sells poisonous frogs?), and had read that it was a fairly vigorous grower. It is FINALLY, very SLOWLY developing its first pitcher that I have seen, (it came pitcher-less.) My other neps are thriving. Might it just be a slow grower? Quick rundown of the setup, 2 x 100 watt equiv 'cool' CFLs, 50%-60% humidity, water every 3-4 days, soil is a mix of orchid bark, peat moss and perlite, temps are in mid 70's during the day, and I try to get them as low as I can at night (turn off heater) usually gets to low 60's. If it needs lower temps at night, any tips on localized cooling? No terrarium, they are all near a windowsill. Finicky highlanders. You guys are great.???

I'm in the same boat as you. haha get it? Davey Jones? eh nevermind...

But yeah I got mine from the same supplier as you, just recently has mine started to do anything. (bought it mid summer) But it's taking off! It's working on 3 pitchers for me at the moment, I can't even remember this thing making one in the first place. Hang in there!

Nate

How long ago did you get it? It's probably just getting settled in.

xvart.

End of October-ish? What would you say is the normal acclimation period? I hate being such a newbie.

Sounds reasonable. It depends on the plant, of course, and how well it was shipped or repotted. Some plants take forever, some not all.

xvart.

I'm in the same boat as you. haha get it? Davey Jones? eh nevermind...

But yeah I got mine from the same supplier as you, just recently has mine started to do anything. (bought it mid summer) But it's taking off! It's working on 3 pitchers for me at the moment, I can't even remember this thing making one in the first place. Hang in there!

Nate

Lol.

I also got a Spectabilis from this retailer. Two in fact, the regular and the larger 'north sumatra dark form'. First of all, the plants were probably in shock from the poopy potting media they use and the super small pots they use. Most the plants from them are rootbound with gnarly looking roots that just slow growth down. Both of my spectabilis plants came without pitchers, and only after several months, is the North Sumatra plant finally beginning to make pitchers. Three right now, just like MrFlyTrap's. My smaller Spectabilis started making pitchers about a month or two after receiving it, so I am thinking it underwent less stress seeing as how it had a smaller root structure jammed into a tiny pot. Perhaps yours just took some time getting acclimated? How much peat do you use?

If yours was like mine, it was 'fresh off the boat' not going into the supplier arena, but I did 3 order with mine before I called it quits. I got tired of seeing them fall out of the pots while unpacking because there were no roots to hold them in place. While they are true champs and -all still alive- they still come with a long waiting period before they start to show some true colors since they are basically fresh cuttings. I would chalk this up to the slow show time, you might be working with a cutting.

-Nate

Upon receiving it, I was surprised to see that it was potted with just bark on the bottom, and something resembling easter grass on top. The plant was very loose, and overall poorly shipped. I repotted it, with the normal 50/50 peat/perlite mix on bottom, and kept the bark on top. If memory serves me correctly, there was a fairly decent root structure, it was just poorly potted. I also don't believe it was a cutting, due to the structure of the plant. Anyways, I'm just happy that it is finally producing a pitcher, however slowly it may be. Leafs seem to be growing fairly quickly though, which I take as a good sign. I'm very excited to see this plant in all its splendor. I will NEVER buy from that supplier again though, thats for sure.

After this pitcher fully develops, I might repot the plant again in a less layered mix that I got from the 'nepenthes around the house' guy. I put some other plants in that mix, and they are doing really well. When I got it I replanted it quickly to try and keep the shock to a minimum, but I definitely could have done a nicer job.

Well I can't hate totally, like I said all of my plants are still kicking, the travel was a bit rough for them, but over all they seem to be doing pretty good and enjoying the new home. I bet yours will too with just a bit more time.

-Nate

Hey I love that media! Cypress mulch or whatever it is is one of my preferred media choices. I grow a clipeata in nothing but that, and it does well (though it didn't in heavier mixes).

I do hate that easter grass crap, but overall, all the plants I've gotten from them have been healthy and none have died.

My main problem with them is their potting. Almost all my plants are ready to fall out and they just seem so fragile. Granted, all except one of my plants from them has lived (a large rajah died amidst potting issues, shock, and heat). And I have ordered a lot from them. I've given them a few hundred dollars easily. But other problems, like them forgetting to mail a few plants and MANY unanswered emails and phone calls has stopped my patronage. It got so bad that I thought they were going to stiff me and I was looking for a way to report them after they ignored all my communication attempts. Finally a very nice lady, I believe by the name of Trystan, contacted me and settled everything and then some (after I left many angry voice messages). This is the only reason I would consider ordering from them again, and then only to get something I cannot attain elsewhere. Anywho, all my plants from them are recovering their rootbinding, and it seems like they will all be large healthy plants in a few years.

And they don't put their plants in bags, but instead dry paper. That pisses me off.

I've always had very fast, excellent service otherwise. And in their defense I never asked them to use bags.

Alright everyone. Let's steer clear of the negative reviews of this "mystery" store. As we all know, advertising is not allowed here because of the store that supports this forum; however, that also means that no "bad advertising" should be public, either. It seems only fair. See this post when this was discussed. I will offer this piece of advice when ordering from anyone: be more upfront and clear about your expectations when ordering any sort of live material.

xvart.

Back