What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting Cuttings in water

How long does it take to root a nep cutting in water?

Thanks

depends what nep...some wont even root in water. but about the same time as a cutting put in the soil.

Alex

and how long will that take?

btw, im rooting a N.ventrata

A couple weeks to a month usually before roots start to form. Soon you will know exactly how long it takes for you to root one.. ;) Never had a ventrata cutting fail.

I've got a vebtrata cutting in a vase of water. Been there a few months now and can't see any roots. At least the nodes are developing leaves. It can take awhile for the roots.

A couple weeks to a month usually before roots start to form. Soon you will know exactly how long it takes for you to root one.. ;) Never had a ventrata cutting fail.

my ventrata cutting lasted a week, and then all of the sudden it turned turn yellow and died:-(

I've never used the water method, and never will.
1) way too much trouble (changing out water? No thanks.)
2) seems way more prone to rot
3) IMO, it takes a lot longer. I've had airlayerings/normal cuttings root in 2 weeks. Never heard of that in water.

I put in a cup of water with a tiny bit of orchid fertilizer and gave filtered sunlight and it grew roots in a couple of weeks.
- Adrian

The vase I am using is ridged, so it obscures what I can see on the inside. However, upon further review, there is a mass of roots. What I didn't anticipate was that the roots were 3-4 inches up from the bottom of the stem. So now I have to negotiate its acclimation to a pot.

I put in a cup of water with a tiny bit of orchid fertilizer and gave filtered sunlight and it grew roots in a couple of weeks.
- Adrian

hmm, should I add some fert to the water then? and if so, should I add high N or P ratio ferts? and what about dosage, how small but enough?

I would also advise against rooting in water. Nepenthes are not a swamp plant and their roots are more in favor of an airy substrate that remains moist, not sopping wet. In order for Nepenthes roots to develop properly,grow vigorously and support the cutting to develop into a n actively growing plant, they need oxygen penetration around them. I guess the other option if you are dead set on rooting successfully in water is to place an aquarium air pump and air stone bubbler in the water.

im not dead set on water lol, alright so ill just plant them in a pot with peat and perlite then

I suppose I'm just lazy, but I often start cuttings in water. The cuttings are put in bottles right alongside the other plants in the greenhouse. I top off the bottles, as I water the other plants. When the roots are 1/2" or longer, I pot them. (Never seen any rot with this method, by the way.)

You should get faster results in a pot. I use water because it is convenient, and works in my conditions.

I'm trying out the water method. This thread intrigued me, and I had some extra vine sections...so I figured I'd give it a whirl and see what happens.

Here's a picture I took yesterday:

HPIM0856.jpg

nice, im pretty sure the water method works and I wanted to do it because I could see the roots instead of the soil method

Actually, the water method come highly recommended by one of the moderators on CPUK (Sheila). It's the transition from the water to soil that is making me a little nervous.

Back