What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting Cuttings in water

hmm i wonder if a leaf on my capensis is starting to die and i rip it down to the root a bit.

Will something like that work? I got a few capensis leaves that were starting to die that i ripped down with a little white and stuck in soil. they got no roots though so I don't think I did it right.

You can do it with capensis that way but use a leaf that isnt dieing

Should I use like a hobby knife and cut off a few leaves and some stem? How long do they usually take inside the water?

Capensis is easy to propagate with leaf cuttings - don't worry about getting any stem, it doesn't need it, it's not like a nepenthes cutting where the stem is what roots. With capensis, just take a section of healthy leaf - as little as an inch, and lay it on top of the peat. Put a pinch of peat on each end to keep it pinned down. That's it, just wait.

Capslock

What Capslock describes also works well with D. binata and D. filiformis. I like to put those in sealed centrifuge tubes with water. I can get 15-20 sprouts from one whole leaf.

With D. capensis, though, one flowering plant can yield a whole mess (literally) of seeds and one is hardpressed to keep them from spreading to other pots!

Back