What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventrata cuttings question

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
I recieved my cuttings from JP OrchidGuy today (THANKS) and naturely have a couple questions.
1. should I trim the bottom of the cutting, like you would fresh cut flowers?
2. should I use Rootone?
3. should I remove the leaf from the lowest node and insure at least one node is below soil level?
Thanks for the help.
Tom

errr i just got mine from ilbasso, and my other one from OrchidGuy is leaving on Monday
sooo.
we are in the same boat, id like to know kinda too.
i just stuck the spike that was on the bottom from the cutting (about half an inch) into some rooting hormone from andy, then put it in some some peat/perlite/vermiculite.
mostly perlite though xD heard it works wonders on cuttings sooooo. im giving it a try.

1. I do. I cut it at a pretty sharp angle to give lots of meristematic surface area for potential roots to grow
2. I always do. Some say it doesn't help, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt
3. Personal pref. I only remove bottom leaves if I cant get enough of the cutting to stay in the soil otherwise.

I do what is called notching. That's just making an incision at the bottom of the stem. I don't snip any leaves until they turn brown.

Back