What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed care / Pot size

I have seeds of N. sanguine and N. mirabilis on their way to me. Now my question is pot size I suppose. I know I need to do a 50/50 peat and perlite mix. But I don't want to plant these right into a 12 inch pot and let them grow out right?

Should I get like a clear plastic tray and like 1 foot by 1 foot or something and just spread them out in there to germinate? Then repot each one into a 4 inch separate once it's rocking an rolling?

Thanks again all you full of knowledge people :)

Theres no wrong way to eat a Reese's.

I germinate them in regular 3.5" square pots because I find them easier to work with than the big foot long seed flats.

I could do that. Problem is over crowding I suppose. Like do you repot them as soon as they germinate?

How close do you put the seeds? Just poke a finger hole ever half inch apart or so?

Thanks a ton. I just killed a ventrata so I don't want to kill seeds HAHA

I like to take a shallow, wide containter - deep enough for about 1" of media, and big enough for however many seeds I have.

I mill LFS in a blender, then nuke it to death to kill any spores or weed seeds in it.

LET IT COOL

Then sow my seeds.

I'm with Schloaty on containers. I use those flat plastic salad things at the grocery store (that you make your own salad in).

xvart.

creepa, make sure you sow the seeds on top of the soil, don't bury them.

As for overcrowding, I just pot them up separately (or multiple plants per pot for the slower/smaller seedlings) when they start fighting for space.

You don't need to worry about repotting until they are 1 year old, or 1" across. I just sprinkle seeds wherever they land. AFAIK, there is no hormone or anything they release that prevents germination of other nearby seeds.

Hmm....this is interesting. ONE ... JUST ONE germination. These seeds have been in there for a month now. Basically around Dec 15th or so.

2216700481_c5f883403a_o.jpg

And interestingly...this is one in the ALBOMARGINATA section. Hmm..... I removed it immediately...placed the seed carefully in a blanket of live lfs in my darlingtonia pot which is teeming to the edge of the heating vent. This will mean that the seed will get some good heat ...not excessive...but decent.

The bad thing is...the thing is now sitting there for the past 1 week exactly looking like this. 2 leaves open. thats it. :(

:( slow growing huh? Better learn to have patience then. lol something I lack :)

I don't know..... seeds tend to have a HIGH mortality rate AFTER germination. Since I have only had this one germinate... I would love to call him "GOLDEN BOY" and I hope he sticks around for a while. :p lol!

Better take good care of him and bottle feed him :)

I wish you luck with it. So far so good though.

The bad thing is...the thing is now sitting there for the past 1 week exactly looking like this. 2 leaves open. thats it.
Probably shouldn't have moved it. Also, there's a good chance the LFS will overgrow the seedling. Just keep a look out, and I hope you have steady hands and tiny scissors lol.

Hmm can that happen like where the LFS is choking a plant? I have some dews that seem stunted and are surrounded by LFS. I tried getting the lfs off but its like frozen on there lol.

well! The LFS I am using is LIVE. So its a lot more airy based on my opinion as sphagnum tries to take as much room as it can provided the adequate humidity.
Yeah PK! I should have left golden boy alone. :( But it germinated in a high conc peat media as I noticed many of the seed experts on pitcher plants boards using that media. I then read on ICPS that nepenthes seed is better to be transplanted right in the week of germination as many seedlings die. :( I thought it was good as live LFS has the great property of nice slow moving water by capillary action through ITSELF. Being such soft cell structure and such porous nature...seedlings seem very very likely to love a sphagnum based medium. I recently also noticed that VFT cuttings/ping cuttings LOVE live LFS. There you go...that was the reasoning for the decision. eyah! I do watch him everyday and see if he is being drowned...and yeah....I am on the lookout for one of those surgical scissors. :p lol!

Hmm can that happen like where the LFS is choking a plant?
It can "choke out" the light the plant is receiving, especially if the plant in question is a little seedling.

I don't know...I have lots of qualms with the ICPS seed instructions for neps. I kinda wonder who wrote them (obviously not someone who frequently grows from seed and has tried any different approaches besides the ones published in the guide). Never have I heard of transplanting seedlings in the 1st week...they're way too delicate. Some of them surely haven't even anchored their roots in yet a week after coming out of the seedcoat. Also, the pics they have on there say like "4 year old gracilis in a 10 cm pot".....10 cm is 4", and most of those plants look about half that. If you sowed gracilis seed, and four years later the plants are only 2 inches, something is really wrong with your cultivation technique.

Don't listen to ICPS. Listen to the people on pitcherplants, etc, that frequently grow from seed.

I am very cheap and use the old Chinese food plastic trays that come with takeout now. Perfect size for about a 1" layer of ground sphagnum. Also come with clear top that fits tight if added humidity needed. Have been working very good to germinate VFT's and Neps seeds. The price is right-free.
Make sure to use ground sphagnum as seeds are much easier to transplant.

lol mac funny you mentioned that. I bought a salad at Mc donalds the other day and was like hmm this tray would be great for seeds. Keep moisture in and a nice clear top. SO for 1$ you get a salad and a grow tray LOL

Yeha PK! I was shocked at that pic showing a 4 yr old seedling as well. That is just insanely small. Damn! I Hope golden boy recovers.

LMAO creepa! So its basically you want to eat some plants and then grow some plants in the same container?? :p something about that is just humorous & ironical to me. :p

lol exactly :) but hey at the same time I'm saving the environment in multiple ways also. Saving landfills from plastic. And growing plants to help with oxygen :)

Back