What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep for the office

I can recommend 'sabre' with some extra light in the winter. Fusca "flared peristome" took a while to adapt but otherwise pitchers steadily, even without light! Macfarlanei from BE seems to do well on my sill without light too. Truncata is good too, but it gets big. I don't know about hamata... it can be done, as elgecko proved, but it 's pretty iffy.

Pyro I want your connections with the folks at ABG LOL Very nice list there.

I think whatever you get her for the office is going to need extra lighting. So you will need to get her a light setup as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions ... even the silk ones, LOL! Since I have a pair of N. ventrata (thanks JB), I guess I'll start trying with one of those and some supplemental light.
Pyro, I didn't see N. ventrata on your list. Do you not recommend it or just haven't tried it in an 'office' environment?

I bought a little desk lamp and a timer, put in a 100w CF bulb and was growing a N sanguinea and D capensis on the desk. It was a VERY dry office, but they seemed to be doing just fine...until a bunch of us had to get let go. So much for that experiment, but it was working quite well.

JB,

Only 5 of those plants came from ABG, the rest I had to find via my own means. :)

thbjr,

I only listed plants I have as they are the only ones I can actually account for. I have never grown ventrata (believe it or not) so I am not in a position to definitively say. I do have a few ventricosa on the kitchen windowsill at home but "technically" those are my wife's.

I used to have some beautiful neps (ventricosa and raff) in my office growing in a tank in one of my windows...until my MEAN boss made me get rid of all my plants. :censor: I really didn't have that many plants. She was just in a bad mood and that was the focus of her pissy energy that day. Let's not mention another coworker here has about 5 african violets in her office. I guess they aren't plants. :rant:

At any rate...my plants did fantastic here but they did get sunlight from a window. I miss having CPs in my office. :(

Your old ventricosa is awsome :D It's little basal is pitchering very pretty plant and in the pot is some capensis.... I am gonna top it with live sphagnum then it will look better.......... Your boss is a jellous tightwad :D
My post 666 Ah whatever...........

I can reccomend Nepenthes truncata highland form. It is extremely tolerant of low humidity. Coplandii is also very easy, and after about 4 months its making a pitcher...whoopde dooo....I think it would work well. Hope this helps.

MY vechi X maxima,truncata X maxima there happy in 50% humdidty

Ok, this Nep should work anywhere!

Its a Nepenthes "Itsfakeandmadeoutofsilk-butreallycheezyii":-))

ztp-nv.jpg

... sorry, I couldn't resist. :-D

I didn't know they made those!!! Where can i get some?

Back