What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep for the office

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
OK, my wife thinks she wants a Nep to keep on her desk in her office. Is there a Nep that might survive "the office". It would have to take low lighting and low humidity (although I have a small 26watt, 2x13W, light I could give her). Any suggestions?????
Tom

Does she have a window in her office? My first suggestion would be N. x ventrata.

xvart.

My suggestion is get her some plastic flowers and get yourself a nice nep :)

creepa, thats mean.
a ventrata or a sanguinea id immagine....

same thing xvart said look for nep.ventrata or ventricosa

Ha, ha Creepa.
She doesn't have a window. Just the standard overhead offive fluorscent lighting. The little light I mentioned is for a 5 gal aquarium. I guess as slow asa they grow, that would be good for a year or 2. Is there such a thing as a N. ventrata x ventricosa? I seem to remember reading that hybreds are 'tougher'.

Ventrata won't be able to be kept on her desk for long.

I seem to remember reading that hybreds are 'tougher'.

I am sure you know this already, but Ventrata is already a hybrid, between Ventricosa and Alata. But if it's a complex hybrid you are looking for, I am sure someone out there has crossed Ventrata with Ventricosa. If you pot the plant with a pot that is too big for it, and use a lot of LFS, it just might create enough local humidity for the plant to pitcher. Generally though, the humidity is kept pretty low in an office setting, so it might be difficult to create a nice environment for the plant. I would try something a little more "showy" though for her office. Maybe a Miranda? (Though I've never grown this hybrid so I don't know how hardy it is).

I had my N. ventrata growing in an office with some extra light from a shop light.

I'd get a silver/chrome goose neck light then fit it with a 26 watt 100 watt incadescent power warm colored cfl they are great for nepenthes for a small area I ahd ventricosa like a foot away and the pitchers were bright red. Thats your best bet the bubls will stick out alittle get the bubls and the fixture from wallmart :)
Nepenthes miranda is farely hardy but does not handle full sun it has very waxy leafs too...

But if it's a complex hybrid you are looking for, I am sure someone out there has crossed Ventrata with Ventricosa
Ventrata x ventricosa would still be a primary hybrid. No matter how many times a hybrid between A and B is crossed back to either parent, it's still a primary hybrid until a third species gets involved.

I think N. Lowii would be an excellent choice.....

not really at all. Somebody had to say it!

Ventrata x ventricosa would still be a primary hybrid. No matter how many times a hybrid between A and B is crossed back to either parent, it's still a primary hybrid until a third species gets involved.

Ahhh... thanks for clearing that up. You learn something new everyday :).

Ok, this Nep should work anywhere!

Its a Nepenthes "Itsfakeandmadeoutofsilk-butreallycheezyii":-))

ztp-nv.jpg

... sorry, I couldn't resist. :-D

Ok, this Nep should work anywhere!

Its a Nepenthes "Itsfakeandmadeoutofsilk-butreallycheezyii":-))

ztp-nv.jpg

... sorry, I couldn't resist. :-D

Lol that's awesome, I didn't even know they made those.

Whether you like it or not, my dad would say!

xvart.

Lol ain't that the truth? :)

I saw those thay had flytraps to I though about getting one as an aqaurium decoration or put a fake vft in a tropical terrarium

From someone who grows a number of Neps in the windows here in the lab and at home I can offer the following up as recommendations if you can add a bit of supplemental light:

N. fusca “Sarawak” (originally faizaliana ABG)
N. veitchii “Stripped peristome; lowland”
N. veitchii Clone F
N. hamata
N. lowii “Gunung Mulu” (Wistuba)
N. clipeata
N. clipeata “clone U” (Wistuba)
N. rafflesiana “Singapore Giant“
N. rafflesiana “red” (ABG 25 via AgriStarts)
N. maxima
N. sanguinea
N. albomarginata “Green” TAHBWG TC
N. bicalcarata TAHBWG TC
N. mirabilis echinostomata TAHBWG TC
N. ampullaria “Tayeve”
N. cv. ‘Predator’
N. cv. ‘Effulgent Koto’ (5778)
N. cv. ‘Red Leopard’
N. cv. ‘Ile de France’
N. cv. ‘Black Dragon’
N. cv. ‘Sabre’
N. cv. ‘Red Dragon’
N. cv. ‘Miranda’
N. x Judith Finn
N. (thorellii-JAM x LCS#1 superba-mixta) x 9/12/1983-LCS#1F albomarginata#1 (5850)
N. (tobica x ovata) x veitchii
N. spectabilis x veitchii H/L
N. truncata x lowii
N. maxima “dark” x truncata (probably cv. ‘Marbled Dragon’)
N. thorelli x aristolochioides

However, if size is an issue then you need to exclude the following as they have potential to get huge/tall very fast:

N. veitchii Clone F
N. rafflesiana “Singapore Giant“
N. maxima
N. sanguinea
N. cv. ‘Predator’
N. cv. ‘Effulgent Koto’ (5778)
N. cv. ‘Ile de France’
N. cv. ‘Miranda’
N. x Judith Finn
N. spectabilis x veitchii H/L
N. thorelli x aristolochioides

I'm no Nep expert, but wouldn't a 'Judith Finn' hybrid be a pretty tough customer in an office? Given some extra light and kept moist?

I'm no Nep expert, but wouldn't a 'Judith Finn' hybrid be a pretty tough customer in an office? Given some extra light and kept moist?

Yes it could (hence my reason for listing it above.) Except it can and does get large pretty quick which might make it less ideal than some others that would remain smaller for longer

Back