What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amps lumen requirement

Hello all. I am changing the light setup in my amps terrarium i had regular florecent bulbs and add one t5 24Watt 2400 lumen light bulb and i could see how the pitchers have better color. Im looking for advise for how much is required for them if the distance between them and the bulb is 5-35 cm? would another one like that be good for them since they are deep forest growers?Or how much lumens do they recive in the wild if it can be measured ? Ho i forgot to say the terrarium is about 2 meters from a window wich is open most of the day with no direct sunligh.

Thanks in advance

Yoav

I like to give every nep the brightest light it can take. Just experiment and when you burn the leaves, back off a bit, and thats perfect. Lumens are measured at a distance of 1 foot, so 2400 lumens 6" away is 4800 lumens (or something like that....its more than 2400 at any rate)

Thanks and i forgot to mention it is a 1 meter across terrarium. what do you think about the led grow sheets with hundreds of leds on them that are around now?

ampullaria is a lowlander that grows in shady forests and picks up leaf litter from the tree canopy, so it doesn't really require that much light. With flourescents + an extra bulb you should be fine. 2400 lumens is pretty good for a 25 watt bulb. I agree with PK about giving neps as much light as they can take. My neps seem to be doing a ton better with more light, even though I'm getting some red spotting.

I can't comment on the LED growlights, as I have never personally used them, nor do I know anyone on any of the forums that uses them. For all I know they could be amazing, but their high cost makes me want to stay away. Obviously they would work, but I don't know if they would work so much better than T5s or MH or whatever to justify spending that much.

Nepfreak that spotting is just like a "sunscreen". Personally I find it attractive when my nep leaves are any color other than green. My thorelii giant tiger has a purple leaf right now from growing literally about half an inch away from the bulbs.

Thanks sounds like a good advice. I shall experiment.

Yoav

Back