What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes alata(?) care

Im a Nep newby and just wanted to confirm the plant I bought is actually N alata
and how should I look after it. It was sitting in water when I bought it and a caterpiller had eaten all the lids off I drowned it in one of the pichers :nono: so that problem is solved.
I have it on a window sill on sitting on a bed of clean sieved gravel which I keep wet to increase the humidity also I mist when ever I walk past. What else can I do. Its my baby so I want it to grow up big and strong but the hardest bit will be winter.
Any advice appreciated.

smallnepalata31.jpg

smallnepalata21.jpg

smallnepalata1.jpg

Nepenthes alata: there are amongst the easiest plants to grow. From lowland to highland varieties. It'd be wise not to over water them. I am not sure what compost you use, but please make sure media does not retain water, otherwise, roots will rot.
Give them as much light as you can: natural or artificial or a combination of both. Depending also on how cold it gets in your town, you may want to consider to provide it with some heat during the day.

good luck with it.

Thanks Agustinfranco, Easy is what I need. It gets down to colder than 50 (10 degrees C) inside the kitchen where its kept. What kind of extra heating should I give it? I thought either a heating mat or move it in to the hot water carboad at night. My wife may want to use that for cloths though (Wifes are so impractical) so would a heating mat work. Also do I keep the humidity high over winter? Also do I need to use artificial light in winter? I hope not because I really dont know where I will get that in New Zealand. I live near the bottom of the South Island so it may be one of the Southern most Nepenthes grown in the world.
It does look more happy than a week ago when I bought it, they had it standing in water at the store and it was probably too dark. Its growing in LFS but there is other stuff maybe peat and bark Im not sure and I dont want to disturb it too much it seems to have secure enough roots. I added trichoderma when I bought it (I use that for my alpine plants and they grow twice as fast with half the mortality, so I love it)

Looks more like a N. x ventrata ( ventricosa x alata ) to me.

I'd keep it above 50. I don't know exactly how low they can take, but a heating mat will work to keep it warm. That plant will adapt to low humidity in time. I've had it pitcher in 15%. If you want to see pitchers in the winter, you'll need to provide more light. Maybe you can find a compact fluorescent bulb easily? Your soil mix sounds good.

It also looks more like ventrata to me.

Back