What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need your point of view...

MrFus

Do you like that...
Im thinking to get 2 new plants...

The possible options are: N. sanguinea, and a N. ventricosa, but Im not sure how good this two will do on outdoors with the heat of north Florida (on spring we get arround +90, I use foguers to reduce the temperature arround ±80º but still feels :censor: hot some days).

I know each plant will respond on a diferent way depending of the growing conditions from where it comes, but on general on your experience what do you think... do I have a chance with this ones?

hhahhaha they may be highland but they are some hardy little guys.
they will be fine
i used to live in Jacksonville, FL ;)
and i know many people who grow em there now.

I know of at least 1 person in Florida (Miami?) that has problems with sanguinea in the heat. I have grown sanguinea at 85° for 6 months and it did fine, but if you are growing outside, I don't know how well it will deal with 110+°. It's certainly worth a try, and it certainly may succeed, but you're just going to have to try it out to be sure

Great :banana2:

I m going to give a try to both Nepenthes! with a little bit of luck and a lot of water they will grow good and healthy :bigthumpup: .

maybe move it on a slightly shaded cooler porch or something?

Yea... Im moving my plants to a diferent area this summer.

I already have the location selected, they will get more hours of light but they will be 90% of the time under shade from the trees and a loooottt more of air circulation.

Where I have my plants now they get arround 60% of the day shade from a tree and the rest is direct sun... what dont looks make a problem to any one of my current plants (they are turning redheads! hahha:-))... all have a really marked red tint due the sun), but if I want to keep some highlanders too I really need to move all to a better place to dont over estres this new plants.

I grow N. sanguinea outdoors in Miami. It seems to do the best out of the 3 highlanders I grow (the other 2 are ventricosa and fusca - Sarawak) and is always the first to start making pitchers when the temps cool down.

Here on panama city the summer is really hot, and the winter was kind of cool, this year has not being as cool as past years... just the first week from january was cool, 39° if I remember fine was the lowest, but on general the temperature has being on ±46°.

I will give the chance to this ones and hope they adapt well and pitcher, probably not as good as my other plants but some pitchers will be great...

Well.. its done I order a N. sanguinea (orange)!

let see how it handle the heat of the summer... maybe it will adapt good and this will be a success as experiment to keep highlanders and lowlanders here on Panama City.

Back