What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's missing for a talangensis to pitcher?

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I have got my talangensis in october 2007. Yet, as of now I haven't got a single pitcher on it. The growth is absolutely healthy. Tendrils extend. Leaves are all same size or getting bigger by little.

BTW...the top crown of 5 leaves has been grown in my conditions since I got it.

2248122520_7bb159556f.jpg

Condtions:

Humidity: 65% - 85%
Temp: 60-65F night | 85F day
Lighting: enough to make my ramispina, mira right beside this pot pitcher and thrive.

It has been growing quite steadily at the pace that has been approved by successful growers of this species. It looks pretty healthy in its foliage. However..... all the 4 leaves that have formed since tis arrival in october unpotted have buried themself in my layer of live LFS and are just sitting there without inflation. Can someone please shed light on this issue for me?

Now this species has been notorious for sitting there and doing absolutely nothing for a while. It is also supposedly among the plants that really resents repotting.

thanks,

V

what do you have for lighting?
your pics always look like there is very little light.

I agree. I don't know if you turn them off for pics or something, but it always looks dark. My chamber is lit up like christmas. I have lights every 12 or so inches.

i think light also has to be very high. mine has just decided to pitcher for me thankfuly. but the first has a malformed lid. no worries though!

Alex

no...I don't turn off light for the pics. :( However, I do move away a T12 2 foot fixture when I have to open the enclousure and get to the plants. So yeah! some light might be "missing" (you can say) from the pics compared to what the plant grows with.

But also...for the rajah..when there wasn't enough light...the tendrils aborted without lengthening and just fried up after growing a couple of cm. However, once I added the light....the tendrils started developing. SO based on that isn't the talang getting "OK" light considering the tendrils are dropping and actually burying themselves in the moss?

Damn! lol! I have no room or resources to get more light for this "mis-sized" setup. lol!

woah! nice one Alex. Any pics dude?

Varun,

there is definitely a diff between the internodes on yours compared to mine...

I'm not sure but wouldn't that be confirmation of lighting diffs... I know one thing, the more light I give mine the happier it seems, its a greedy lil light ho

can you move it closer to your bulbs?

talangensis.jpg

Butch

hmm..... I guess I'll give it a try. Is there anything else that I might need to correct?

THanks guys. :)

V

Possibly needs more of a temp drop at night. My rajah would not pitcher til I got temps into the 50-55F range at night. Do not have a talangensis, but may be a possibility if your particular plant is from a higher altitude. Just a thought.

hmm....as far as I know....this is the BE clone of talang and the one Av8tor1 has is the same one as mine. (considering BE has only one clone of talang)... that means my temps are similar to his...or even lower than his at night (by a bit). So temp dependence??? maybe..... I do recall reading at many places that talang doesn't like high temps too much. Hmm..... alright. I guess I need to use a fully frozen bottle on top of it as well.

BTW yeah B! I notice your internodes are insanely close. WOW! that is a sign of good lighting.

As I said B! that is just marvellous! Damn! look at those pitchers....they are bigger than the size of the plant stem. Sheesh!!! Fantastic growing B! Looks like this one is truly a light worshipper. Hopefully the new light you sent should help mine pitcher. :)

amazing!!! cant wait for mine to shape up! very good!

I know what's missing. A royal prismical block for the plant to sit on with the plant name, date recieved, and grower name carved in!

I've tried to grow N. tanangensis in a variety of different setups, all of which have failed miserably. I recently put a stubborn talang outside where it gets low nighttime temperatures, and it's actually showing growth, which is more than I can say about any of the past specimens I've had. It seems, for me at least, that high temperatures were the culprit.

Talang is a pure highlander. It loves night time temperature drops to high 50's or low 60s. My talang has always grown well...it just sits its tendrils deep in the moss and keeps waiting. I hope the new light triggers their ballooning. ;)

vraev, I am entirely in the same situation as you with this plant. i have had it now for over a year and nothing

Back