What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

good nep. for a beginner

• Thread starter slammy
  • Start date

slammy

sam
i want to start growing my first nep. and was wondering what a good one would be i have a great south facing bay window that gets year round sunlight and house tepmps of 65 to 75 degrees i can keep it humid as well. any advice would be great.

i heard ventricosa's pretty easy.... i said i heard... i'm not much of an expert myself.

N. ventrata, which can be gotten at Lowes.

get N. sanguinea. its wicked fast in growth and makes very large pitchers(the biggest on mine is 9in!!) its also very easy to grow and will grow just about anywhere.
IMG_1963.jpg

Alex

get N. sanguinea. its wicked fast in growth and makes very large pitchers(the biggest on mine is 9in!!) its also very easy to grow and will grow just about anywhere.

Thats the best starter nep. I think. Thats what I started out with. I got 3 for $9.99 at the Saturday market up here. One did not make it but I still have the other 2. I grew mine in a window at first then the addiction set in hehe. =]

Good luck
Josh

DSC00043.jpg

blazeddayz: we got ours from the same place :) mine is a little over a year old(from them) and its already this big. mine is what you have to look forward to!

Alex

N. 'miranda' is quite easy to grow. I have mine sitting on my windowsill and its about to going into it's vining stage:O

Ventrata and sanguinea are both great choices. Also if you have a little higher humidity you can try rafflesiana also. Altough raffs get large after awhile. All three of these Neps are great beginner plants/very forgiving. Also they are very beautiful. I have been keeping lowlanders for over 20 years and still keep these Neps. I keep them and give away basals/rooted cuttings to young people that may be interested in CP's in my area. I had an older man get me interested in Nepenthes/CP's when I was ten or twelve years old and like to pass on the interest to a younger generation. It is an addiction that you don't quite ever lose.

thanks for all the advice and pics i was looking at N. sanguinea and is there a differance in the growing of the "blood red" variety and the "orange" variety?
also what is a good medium to grow them in

dont mention the names of CP nursuries other than Andy's.

the form i have is the orange pitchers. the blood red form is probably not pure sanguinea but more like sanguinea x ramispina. the difference in the two is just the color of the pitchers.

i grow (almost all) of my neps in a 1:1 ceader mulch and LFS. drainability with water retention. works very well for me.

Alex

Yeah, buy one from this site! Andy sells really nice, healthy N. sanguineas. Speaking of which, nice job glider! Yours looks fantastic.

By the way, N. sanguinea is so named because it sometimes makes droplets of nectar on the peristome that are blood red!

Capslock

thanks Max!

here is the "blood" he was talking about. the dark nectar actually tastes different than the recular clear nectar. and its also only found on the peristome(this drop dripped down)
IMG_1192.jpg

Alex

wow thats cool. i guess i learn something new today. thanks for all the info i think i will purchase one on mon. any suggestions on potting. or should i leave it in the one it comes in

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned 'Judith Finn' as a good beginner Nep.

These were my first Neps.

'Judith Finn' is easy, durable, easy to find and very affordable.

They are kinda on the large side howerver...

Back