What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

raff x ? seedling update

pics of my 1 year old nep seedlings.
They are raff x either raff, bical, trunc, alata based on proximity to other flowering plants in the greenhouse of the grower I got the seed from.
Any guesses on the parent?

pics
old pic
raffseedling.jpg

new pics
raffxtray.jpg

raffxpitchure.jpg

raffxpersitome.jpg

peace,
Zero

well there very very pretty :D

I need some advice on how to repot all these without taking up much space.
Would a plug tray work?
Thanks,
Zero

Update 3/16/08 repotted them
pics
this one has round leaves, different than the other seedlings
bigseedling1.jpg

bigseedling2.jpg

this one is the 2nd biggest and has the best pitchures so far. note different shaped leaves then first seedling.
bigseedling3.jpg

bigseedling4.jpg

seedlingpitchure.jpg

seedlingpitchure2.jpg

tray of seedlings
seedlingtraytop.jpg

seedlingdtrayside.jpg

peace,
Zero

Those look fantastic Zero. It's a gaggle of lil' neps :). They should make great trading material.

Daniel

Hey Z,

So, after you PMs I found this to look closer and see what I could see.

I have a couple guesses for you but they are only that as I am not a hard core Neper

The first plant in the repot series looks to me like it could be either pure raff or a raff x bical. Looking at the pitcher on the right, facing the camera. There look to be very faint indication of what may be fangs... Now the bical fang trait does not always express in hybrids. It is also possible that I am just seeing the typical flaring that occurs at the high point of the raff peristome. Complicating the situation are the leaves. They are more oval than the typical raff ones I am familiar with, the same oval look that my small bical exhibit. That said, my bical all have a fairly characteristic "petiole" before the blade of the leaf opens out and I do not see that so much on your plant (maybe a little or maybe I am just seeing things...)

The second plant, with the purple/red peristome, I am guessing is raff x truncata. The pitcher shape and colour look to be influenced by truncata but also the way the tendril leaves the leaf. The leaf sort of "puckers" in there. The leaves of truncata have a pretty characteristic indentation to them, almost looking heart-like, and their hybrids tend to acquire that trait as well.

So, there are my guesses and my reasoning. I am not going to swear by them so I'm happy to hear others thoughts. And who knows what time will bring??

Back