What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inorganic soil mix for Nepenthes

Are synthetic sponges inorganic? I dunno. I've often wondered if small pieces of sponge would be useful for anything.

maybe it could help airflow in the soil???

Synthetic sponges are inorganic, but commercial sponges (unless they say synthetic on the package) are Demospongiae. These would be bath sponges, etc. The kind you use to wash dishes with I think are synthetic, but some have a hard pad on one side, and some are coated with chemicals/soap.

Synthetic sponges are inorganic, but commercial sponges (unless they say synthetic on the package) are Demospongiae. These would be bath sponges, etc. The kind you use to wash dishes with I think are synthetic, but some have a hard pad on one side, and some are coated with chemicals/soap.

Yes that is true. And they are also excellent breeding grounds for fungus/mold, and who knows what else.

Although I've never tried it on CPs, a product called Turface is used by some people who grow non-CP plants in pots. It's clay pellets made to be used for baseball infields, and it's not expensive. Perhaps it can be used as an ingredient of an inorganic mix.

It's the same thing as Schultz's Profile for aquatic plants, and it's a good substitute for perlite. Schultz's orchid mix contains much larger pebbles of this, and I like it, too. Good Nepenthes media ingredient.

Back