What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hamata - how long did yours take to establish itself?

Mine also comes from BE and took about 6 months to start producing pitchers. It remained witout any new growth for probably half that time and then it's now trowing some basals that I have rooted.

The first pitcher it made came out with missing tooth, the second and following ones came out fine.

Here are some pictures
Sitting in the greenhouse close to a NorthEast facing window
_DSC4653.jpg

Mother plant and basal
_DSC4652.jpg

Missing tooth pitcher
_DSC4188.jpg

Regular pitcher
_DSC4187.jpg

I WANT ONE OF THESE SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just love the look of this plant. Very nice!

i can't wait untill mine makes basals...then i'll have something to trade with :)

wow Alex! That looks wicked. congrats on the basal. WOW!! its such an amazing plant. The strangest thing is the size of that latest leaf. If it was me...I would say that you need to get the lighting up. But if u r the same Alex from pitcher plants board....then obviously you are more experienced than me and know what you are doing. ;)

that would be great Pyro. I remember that one of the clones is really vigorous and easy whereas another is a very annoying one.

I guess I would be the same Alex you are talking about.

I would also have to agree with the light, but I made my greenhouse before my neighbour made his house and he built a big wall right over the greenhouse because his house sits higher on the hill. I now get full sunlight until the early evening when the house blocks the sun from the greenhouse.

Not much to do there, can't re-build the greenhouse or take the neighbour house down. The plants will have to live that way.

aaah! that makes sense. well.....Its all good. Your plants are still pretty awsome. especially those rajahs and that gymnaphora. :)

Thank you very much vraev.

Actually the Rajah's took much longer before they started pitchering. It must have taken those two plants over a year to produce the first pitcher and growing nice, but now they are producing consistently so each plant has 4 or 5 small pitchers.

well! Mine has taken me 8 whole months to make a pitcher. And now there are already signs of worry. The pitcher has gotten almost pitch black. Its not withered. its just like 2-3 weeks. but its become really tanned. The darkest shade of red you can ever imagine-with speckled red is what it is. The peristome is totally black. its kinda worrying...but the plant seems alright. its growing fine so I have confidence that it will do fine.

Hey guys,
I have some questions for all you hamata growers........ What kind of soil mix are you using? And what are your condtions?
Thanks a ton,

-Josh

coconut fibers/husks and peat

LFS, fine orchid bark, perlite, charcoal, osmunda fiber. Probably about 70% LFS alive if available or mix alive and dried.

Ok,thanks guys!:-D

Nast touchy little plant

Hi,

I ordered a few clones of N. hamata from Wistuba and each seemed to acclimate itself at different rates. Why? I simply don't know. They all arrived the same size and were grown in the same place.

Back