What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've had this Ventricosa for over 8 months, and its finnaly making decent sized pitchers and A FLOWER!! I noticed it about 4 days ago but haven't gotten a chance to post it. My first Nep flower! Can anyone hazard an educated guess at whether its male or female? I'll be looking into making seeds so let me know if there are any eligable mates out there.
100_0225.jpg

100_0224.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the thumb sized pitchers:
100_0197.jpg

Nepenthes Copelandii, first picther made in my care. I love how the picther looks almost like someone painted it with water colours.
100_0220.jpg

Some Drosera Capensis, Adalae and small Truncata in background
100_0127.jpg

And of course....I have to get the love of my life, this warm humidifier, some credit. I'd be lost without it!

100_0140.jpg

Thanks for reading!
-Deme

Last edited:
wait! is that a truncata you got from the NECPS show??? yours is so much bigger than mine!

Alex

EDIT. duh. forgot to even put the main point. it looks male to me. congrats on the flower! looks like lots of healthy buds!

Ah, Thanks for the gender identification. And yes, that is a truncata from the NECPS show. Its not all that big, only about two inches or so. It is definetly the slowest plant in my collection, and has only made one leaf in all this time, but in that same amount of time made a pitcher. Truncata is such an eccentric grower!

The N. ventricosa Matt Opel of UCONN brought to the NECPS booth at the CT Flower Show just started to send up a flower on Feb 24th. I think he had got the plant from Schloaty originally.

Email or PM me and I'll give you Matt's email.

Bill

Do you think you'd be able to take a pic of the entire plant? I'm curious how the size of it looks over all... I have a few Ventricosa's that are starting to get there in age and I'd like to compare them.

Thanks!
Nathan

It's a male! Congrats! I have a very similar looking ventricosa that's a male and it flowers a couple times a year at least.

Capslock

Congrads!! Once you start to get flowers you will get them regularly. I have had of course my ventrata flower, but since then I have had truncata(male) albomarginata (If i remember female) and I just found a flower on my forced cutting of spendiana. It fell from the GH and broke so I took a cutting of the tip where it broke and come to find out it was n the process of sending out a flower. It is still growing hopefully will open up and I can tell if its male or female.

Again Congrads!!

my N. Alata 'Luzon' should be flowering...the person i traded with said it was a female...so it has flowered before... so IT SHOULD SOON...:glare:

Mr. Fly trap:
This plants is sort of hard to photograph. Its about a foot tall and has 23 leaves on the main vine.
100_0230.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the congrads.

Wild Bill: PM'd!

Back