What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep cutting in vase - it works!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
HPIM0856-1.jpg

HPIM0857-1.jpg

This is right out of what Indymental (Sheila) prescribes:

Notch the cutting and put in a vase of water, under light.... and wait. I hadn't paid much attention to the setup but decided to look for roots anyways. There were lots of roots and it took several weeks. I just made a hole in the Nep planter and put the cutting in and it never missed a beat.

What does it mean to notch it? I wanna try it maybe with the Predator so more can get one. How long you leave it in the water? You think it would work with just the light from a window?

That's Awesome! Did you use any kind of root hormone or superthrive? Thanks for sharing. I will have to try that some time!!:banana2:

That method works, but takes much longer than just using compost or airlayering. Also, there is increased risk of rot/fungus/mold/etc. While good for a giggle with a ventrata or the like, I certainly wouldn't risk a predator with this method.

My balcony has got plastic cups with water here and there to root cuttings. Lazy way but it works with about 95% success rate for me. The tap water I use has low mineral content, chlorine and cloramine. I think that cut down the occurences of rot.

Sometimes I leave the cuttings in the cups for as long as 6 months. :blush:

Notching refers to slitting the bottom inch or so of the cutting, which allows the roots emerge. I used no chemicals at all. Cheap, easy, and 1 for 1!

Thats cool. So if you use some kind of powder or gel it just shaves 2-3 weeks off. Kinda nice those gels and such can be quite spendie. Do you have to change the water often?

Josh

I use this method often, probably just because it's easy. I've seen no indication of any increased risk of mold or rot.

I've just decided to try this with a ventricosa after having luck with my unknown nep. I snipped a small bit off of a vine on a new plant that I've recently acquired and plopped it in a little bit of water.

Two days later I see something on the top of the cutting. Upon closer inspection, I see the start of a flower peeking out.

Damn.

Back