What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitchers bigger than the plant...

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
OK, so the plants arn't that big, but it made a good headliner.
Little seedlings......

DSCI0517.jpg

DSCI0519.jpg

wow! that looks like a jungle floor. :p nice macro. :D

thanks for getting me excited for nothing! :)

what kind are they?

I know, I should have waited until April 1st.
They are N.thorelii female and either N.thorelii, kuchingensis, or gentle male.
They could be a mix of hybreds. They were a freebie from wanakorn in Bangkok on another board.

I got some of those seeds too! Glad to see someone else is having some luck! How many did you get to germinate total? Only 5 sprouted for me...

I got about a 50% germination rate. There was nearly 200 seed in my pack,
so I sowed about 60 of them and then gave away 2 packs of about 60 seeds each on this board.
Tom

Wow! Cool pic's! Looks like there out in the wild. Congrats on your high success rate! I would love to try my hand at starting some one day. I am still learning about these amazing plants, and was wondering as to how you tell which ones are male & female at such an early stage of development? Thanks for sharing! :)

you cant :) you can only tell when they flower. supposedly there are some little characteristics on plants that you can tell if they are male or female before they flower. though...its never been proven and only been based on one nepenthes. N. mirabilis.

looking good! my splendiana x truncata seedlings have really big pitchers too!

Alex

Wow! Cool pic's! Looks like there out in the wild. Congrats on your high success rate!
I would love to try my hand at starting some one day. I am still learning about these amazing plants,
and was wondering as to how you tell which ones are male & female at such an early stage of development?
Thanks for sharing! :)

CP, I think you misunderstood.
The parent plant was a N.thorelii X thorelii, kuchingensis, or gentle or a combination.
The grower wasn't certain which of the 3 males were the father.
At least to my knowledge, there is no way of knowing a plants sex until it flowers,
and certainly not at the seedling stage those babies are at.
Tom

They are N.thorelii female and either N.thorelii, kuchingensis, or gentle male.

Yes, I thought you where referring to your seedlings.:-)) My bad. Guess I still have a lot to learn.:)

Back