What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey guys,

I'm in Malaysia for a friend's wedding on Rebak Island, which is near Langkawi. I know there are nepenthes there so since I had a bit of extra time, I secured a guide to show me where they were. From what I understand, there are N. mirabilis, N. gracilis, and N. smilesii there.

I met my boat for the short trip to Langkawi before dawn and met my guide at the Marina. Turns out he doesn't know much about "monkey cups" except where they are. He has some on his farm in the flats, growing wild, which sound like N. mirabilis, but we never got there unfortunately. Instead we headed to the base of the highest mountain (or at least very close to it) on the Island, which was about 700 meters high. We parked in a small parking lot for some hotel's staff and headed into the dense jungle. There was a path, but it ended after maybe 100 meters at a small swimming hole at a river. Here, 2 minutes into this all-day hike, the guide mentions that there will be no more path, and we headed straight into the jungle and up the mountain. I don't know if you're familiar with the terrain here, but these mountains are very, very steep, like going up a staircase made of random rocks, leaves, holes, loose sandy dirt, and what I called the "malaysian tripping vine." It was truly exhausting. Less than halfway up, I was dripping with sweat in the humidity and heat. Dripping actually doesn't describe it - it was more like I was dunked in a pool. My guide, who grew up in the area and walks the hills every day just laughed at me. It was at this polint I plucked the first leach off of my hand.

I don't have a memory card reader on this small laptop so the pics will have to wait till I get home, but in all honesty there aren't that many as the hike involved arms and legs most of the time, and if we were to get to the "monkey cups" we had to press on. I was pretty excited because he described these nepenthes as growing at the very top of the mountain only, which is strange because I'm only aware of lowland species here. He says he can't get these ones to grow down on his farm where the others grow. Anyway, as we pressed on and I grew more and more exhausted I began to wonder if I'd make it. I'm in fairly good shape, but this was killing me. I'd gone through all my water and some of the guides by the time we got to the top. Along the way we saw two kinds of monkeys, some strange pygmy deer, missed the pythons he said were usually at one spot on a stream, and became intimately familiar with many kinds of bugs. Oh, it alsol turns out virtually everything here has thorns. :)

So after an eternity, and as my final energy stores were depleting, we found them. He says there were two kinds growing here, and to this moment I'm not convinced of that. Certainly there were two distinct looking pitchers, neither of which I immediately recognized, but one seemed to be uppers only and the other lowers only. It did appear that they were different, though. Anyway, there were a few surprising characteristics. First, this is the end of the two month dry season in Malaysia. For the most part, there were no pitchers, and the ground was bone dry. The nepenthes were growing right in dry soil that looked like clay and sand. It did not look like what nepenthes usually grow in. They were small - I'd guess that they were about four or five inches for the greenish uppers, and 2 inches for the tiny red thorellii-looking lowers. They never appeared on the same plant, hence the confusion. There was fairly dense undergrowth, and the slope at this point was about 60 degrees. It was actually pretty dangerous just hiking through here - and again it had been hours since there was anything resembling a trail. I did get some good pictures here, and have a good representation of what the plants and pitchers look like, so I'm really anxious to get some ID help. The guide says that there were thousands more of these plants the rest of the way up, of the exact same variety, and that they were only slightly bigger further up. With the hours getting late, the water diminishing, and nearly dead with exhaustion (I don't want to be gross, but my long, thick cargo pants were 100% soaked through with sweat), and with the terrain nearly impassible, we decided to head down.

It was on the way down that I realized truly how exhausted I was. First my left leg started to cramp up. Then another part of the leg - then my torso. The water was pretty much gone when we got back to the swimming hole a couple hours later. I've never been that spent, physically. I was cramping up over my whole body. When we got to the car I thought I was going to pass out as my fingers were going numb. We stopped for more water, which I just poured down my throat, and some of the local "gatorade" like beverage, called 100 Plus or something. It was actually kind of scary, and I was in no shape to go hike his farm looking for the nepenthes there. It seems disappointing now, but at the time there was simply no question.

So I had him drive me back to the marina, where there were signs welcoming guests to the very fancy wedding I'm here to attend. They gave me some strange looks as I looked like I'd returned from being lost in the jungle for 2 weeks. I got back to the room finally and collapsed, missing dinner, but I didn't care. I was alive, barely, and had some good stories to tell the other guests. All in all, it was a great adventure - my guide was wonderful (he seemed to know everything about every tree and plant, latin names included, except the "monkey cups". No matter, he knew where they were, and I'm confident that they are safe for the long-term. He almost never brings people to this mountain, and when he does, he says it's for challenging exercise. It takes superhuman strength to get there, though he looked like it was a walk in the park. :) Anyway, I thought it was very interesting that there are nepenthes that grow in the flats at near sea level (which I never saw), and then the only others at the very top of the tallest mountain. And I really expected different soil and conditions where they grew.

Many pics to follow when I get home!!

Capslock

Wow, it sounds like an adventure you won't soon forget. I am getting tired just reading about how exhausting the hiking must have been. It is a good thing you did not fall on the way down.

I can't wait to see the pictures.

Interesting observations on how and where the nepenthes were growing; I would not have expected that.

Have a safe trip home.

Goodness! Sounds like an exciting but exhausting trip. If it had been me, they would have probably had to medaflighted me out!:D Can't wait to see your shots! Thanks for sharing! :bigthumpup:

Sound like a very interesting hike.
Can't wait to see the pics.

Hey Max, that sounds like quite the adventure. I can't wait to see the pics :). Have a safe return trip (if you aren't already back).

Max - Sounds like a great adventure, regardless of what you saw, "monkey-cups" wise. I'm certainly envious. I can't wait for the pictures, either. About the soil mixture: it's always facinating how we hobbiests work so relentlessly about perfect soil mixture and then people come back from the wild with observations that are so crazy, comparatively speaking. "I saw Nepenthes growing in concrete!"

Thanks for sharing, and I'm sure the wedding was boring compared to your "hike!"

xvart.

I can't wait to see pictures,you know if you climbed that mountain more often and lived in that climate you would get used to it and not be as exhausted and sore.
I would love to go to borneo and I want t visit christmas island also.

Yeah, very excited to see the pics. Natural nep pics are some of my favorites. Great story too, you are a good writer.

You painted that picture well, can't wait to see the pics !

I envy you Max! I would love to see neps in the wild! One day I will. One day I will be the one dying to get back from exhaustion. no matter the species it will be cool. I look forward to your pictures Max! I can only imagine your excitement! Have a safe trip home.

Greetings,
Here are the pics from my trip to Langkawi, Malaysia! I cannot identify the species, as from what I understand the only ones that are supposed to grow here are N. gracilis, N. mirabilis, and N. smilesii.

Here are the mountains the plants inhabit (only at the very tops). To protect the location, I will not say which peak had them, but they are not accessible by any trail, and require an all-day, extremely strenuous hike straight through the brush.
IMG_2478.jpg

Here's a look, at the very beginning of the hike, up a small stream that marked the end of the very short trail to a swimming hole:
IMG_2415.jpg

OK, enough setup, let's get to the plants! It's strange, there are no nepenthes whatsoever, then all of the sudden, they're all over the place. It looks like there are two kinds, but I'm not convinced that some aren't just uppers and some lowers (the redder ones). They never appeared on one plant together, and some had red stems, and some green, but still - the green ones all look like uppers, and the reds all like lowers. In any case, here they all are - and these pics all were taken within 20 feet of eachother:

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

(continued...)

And some whole plant/context pics:
IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

Here's one that looked to be growing right out of a tree trunk:
IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

This was the end of the dry season in Langkawi, and the ground was VERY dry. The soil was relatively dense clay/sand in texture, and again, very dry. Not what you'd expect nepenthes to be growing in. There weren't many pitchers, which is reasonable given the season, and a lot of brown vine and dead pitchers. The plants all had a scrambling growth habit. The weather was hot/humid, as it always is here, I'd guess about 84 degrees. It does cool down at night up here, apparently, and my guide reported he cannot grow these down at sea level where he has N. mirabilis growing wild on his farm.

Any ideas on what these are?

Max

Very cool :clap:
congrats I'm glad you had tyhe chance to see some nepenthes in the wild.

Wow! Glad you made it safely and thanks for sharing! I have no clue what they are. I am so new at this still, but I would love to know and get a chance to see something like that in the wild too!

Wonderful pics Max. I am glad you shared them with those of us who can only dream of one day being able to visit such a place :).

the red lowers look like thorelli to me. the uppers... i dont know. looks similar to alata and it could be just another form of mirabilis.

awesome experience im sure!
Alex

Nice pics Max! WOW! Damn! I sooo want to go to borneo and check out neps in the wild.

The uppers look exactly (Colorwise) like my sanguinea 'pink' lower pitchers.

I dont know if this is even relevant, since one is upper and the other is lower, but just thought id point it out.

My Sanguinea 'Pink':
DSCF0564.jpg

DSCF0599.jpg

Back