What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking cutting experience

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Just curious to know if anyone out there has rooted the following:

tenticulata
clipeata
ovata

I just got some very nice cuttings in the mail and want to double check to make sure they is nothing special I have to do for them other than the usual.

Thanks

Travis, I HATE you now. N. clipeata? How jealous am I? Very, that's how!

I can't see how they'd be any different than any other plant to root. I'd use rooting hormone on the N. clipeata cutting. I don't think you need hormone for Nepenthes in general, but If I were in your position I'd use anything that could give it a little boost.

So you would really hate me if I told you it was a full 30cm across? Guess I better leave that part out... And that I have 2 others already (though they are just wee little tykes.) Definitely should not tell you that LOL

I hate you even MORE now! I don't think I've ever actually seen an N. clipeata that was large enough to take a cutting of, since they are so compact. If you want to trade one of your wee little tykes, let me know.

And you never got back to me on that other thing.

OK, back on topic now :)

Pyro,

I have tried rooting clipeata twice, without problem. They were small basals though, not a biggie like yours. Still, I don't see why there should be any problem. I used live sphag for one, and a pieces of live sphagnum mixed with perlite on the other.

Good luck,

Christer

pyro, do you make cuts in the bottom of the stem?
that seems to be the key of the good growers out there.

Zero,

Do you mean vertical slits @ 0, 120 and 240 degrees??

Yes I did that. Always have :)

Has anyone ever tried doing a leaf midrib cutting on a Nep?

With a little rooting hormone, it sounds like it just might work........
07confused.gif

Back