What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nep owner

My son and I were walking through Home Depot and saw the CP display. They only had Neps from Gublers.com. i have read through this forum and I have a question. The instructions on the plant states that i should do a terrarium. I have read that people keep Neps outside. I live in Dallas Texas Zone 8.

I am kind of confused in what would be the best way to care for this new plant.

any help is appreciated.

OOOH nepenthes are great,I'm guessing its highland.
keep the soil moist not soggy good rule is water once a week they like humidity but its not necessary and highland plants like a drop in temperature at night but easy species can grow without the drop.
a 10-15 drop is ideal and 70-80 days are good.
bright diffused light or acclimate to full sun.
oh and don't worry about feeding it I'm sure it will attract insects.

How would you aclimate a plant to direct sunlight? Move it closer to sunlight every other day?

yeha gradually increas the intensity of sun you give it.

You could also start it under a 100w CF bulb in a desk lamp. I've had great luck with those.

Here's another approach:

AF001301.jpg
That was by a window.

Strausplants0241.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

Although there is a mention of a terrarium in the topic, this would be better answered in the Nep forum so I've moved it.

I do grow most of my neps in a lighted tank to increase the humidity but I would not call them terrariums. Many people grow their neps on a window sill. It helps to know what species or hybrid it is in order to give specific growing info.

Back