What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep question

I posted this in general forums, i should of had asked here first

My son and I were walking through Home Depot and saw the CP display. They only had Neps from Gublers.com. i have read through this forum and I have a question. The instructions on the plant states that i should do a terrarium. I have read that people keep Neps outside. I live in Dallas Texas Zone 8.

I am kind of confused in what would be the best way to care for this new plant.

any help is appreciated.

Well, it depends on how warm and cold it gets. I live in southern california, zone 9, and I keep all of my highland neps outside. Average night temp + or - 50 degrees and average day temp is + or - 70 with extremes of 40 and 90. If the neps are from gubler, then it is probably a N. ventrata, but I have seen N. rafflesiana from them too. For the ventrata, it is pretty much bomb proof. The raff would be a bit more challanging considering you have to provide lowand conditions. If you could tell me which one it is and what your temps are I could help you better.

Shawn

I agree, the directions are confusing, considering they also tell you to keep darlingtonia and sarracenia in a terrerium. :crazy:

no need for a terrarium humidity helps but is not necessary,there are a few species that need it but probably not the one you have.
you can acclimate your nepenthes to full sun and grow it on a windowsill.
about outside I don't think so I live in zone 8 and even thoguh witners are mild these plants are still tropical.
if it gets below 50F at night in winter i would grow them as houseplants.
you might be able to grow them outside during summer.
if you do use real sunlight instead of artificial light then your nepenthes will react to lower light levels during winter and possibly grow slower and not pitcher as much.
so if you want to avoid this you can use artificial lights.
check the hardware store they should have 4 foot stoplights for 8-9$
ps its not on homedepot/lowes website.

I do not know what kind of Nep it is. I will get pictures of it up tomorrow if i can. I know down here in the summer it can get around 100 degrees regularly in the summer. Mostly it will stay in the upper 90's in the summer, and dip down to the 80's at night.

I would like for the plant to grow inside next to a window if at all possible. The only problem is my windows are not placed to get direct sunlight, except for my kitchen window that gets a couple of hours of the setting sun. my windows are situated north to south with no direct sunlight. I might have to hunt around the house this weekend to see if i can find a good sunny window for it?

My plant is really small, i was wondering if i should replant it in a larger pot so that it can grow better?

it doesn't have to be full sun.
just a bright window.

Full sun at those temps and you would have a crispy nep. Like DM said, keep it in a window.

If kept at a window, for about half the year, there won't be enough photoperiod to sustain pitchering. Neps are essentially equatorial. So you will have to provide artificial lighting for ~12 hors per day.

really?
what if it got full sun instead if of jsut a dimly lit window.
less photoperiod but increase in light intensity.

Quality of light (direct sun vs. window or artificial) is separate from photoperiod / daylength. They need ~12 hours of light. Less daylength but more intensity may result in burning and shock. I experienced that with a bunch of ventratas when I moved them 2', from under the porch to the edge of the porch, with a SE exposure.

Back