What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sun cycles in my 'Sabre'

Nepfreak

Nepenthesian
Some pics of my deformed "sabre" over the winter as the days get shorter, then longer :-D

Around November 07, my N. 'sabre' made this first deformed pitcher
DSCF0794.jpg

The days got shorter and it skipped a leaf. after that came this little fatty.
DSCF1063.jpg

*winter solstice*
DSCF1066.jpg

*add a metal halide*
DSCF1069.jpg

And now, finally...
DSCF1072.jpg

the whole plant now, in all its deformed glory
DSCF1073.jpg

lol! funny little fat guy there. :p

mine did the same type of thing. my first good pitchure of the year is just coming in.

Very nice Nepfreak. My Talangensis x Veitchii created a bunch of deformed traps that looked like yours when I first got it, and continued to do so for some months, until just recently. I had it under bright T5 lights and high humidity so I don't think that was the issue. It has recently started making normal traps and is looking much better, so I think the problem may have been stress or even TC-hormone related.

Your Sabre is looking pretty large and happy now btw :).

Daniel

Wow. That one pitcher looks like a bomb ready to explode with digestive juices! BOOM.

xvart.

very interesting,I am going to add some artificial lights to my nepenthes next winter.

hehe........

I like the round fatty pitcher.........

Looks like it's pregnant.

Where are you located? I am in GA and my sabre has not missed a beat. Now mine is not as large as yours, but it is pushing out some really nice pitchers. Mine is also a lot darker than yours if I recall correctly.

All of my Neps outside are just starting to pitcher again. They've been in suspended animation since about December.

I got the same thing! I think the Sabre also prefers warmer temps. I've been growing it as a highlander, and it has started to come back since I moved it to the lowland house.

I'm up in western MA, a bit farther north than georgia :) I'm assuming it was because of the days getting shorter since it grew strong all summer, but maybe I'm wrong.
JB, it looks like we have a similar clone, both have striped peristomes. It's been so long since I've seen a normal pitcher that I can't really remember how dark it is normally.

The one in the foreground had opened up recently when the picture was taken, but the one off to the right shows about how dark mine normally stay.

SabrePitchers.jpg

wow, dark...
it's kind of weird, because neither ventricosa, nor macrophylla, nor lowii usually gets that dark. I wonder if EP threw a bongso in or something.

The last one reminds me of a new growing pitcher of S.purpurea

Being in a tropical area here in Australia my sabre and the rest of nepenthes don't miss a beat.

mine is currently making its 2nd pitcher for me. the first was beautiful. very squat though. congrats!!

Alex

Back