What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now that the snow is starting to melt, I want to add to my tiny nep collection and I think peltate leaves are really pretty. I know rajah and clipeata both show the trait but I was wondering if there are any others. I think my place gets too cold for clipeata and I'm kind of intimidated by rajah's fussy reputation. Winter temps are high 40s-mid 60's. Summer temps are 60-mid 80's. Humidity never gets below 50% but is higher in summer. I currently have ventricosa, highland truncata, and ephippiata which are all happy, but the ephippiata seems to be the most vigorous of the bunch. It busts out a new leaf every other week!

at those temps...rajah would be a piece of cake.

Where are you growing them?

These are the Nepenthes with peltate tendril insertion.

N. clipeata
N. clipeata x eymae
N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae)
N. rajah
N. campanulata
N. peltata

If there are any more N. clipeata or N. peltata hybrids with peltate tendril insertion, I'm not aware of them. Then there are plants like N. rowaniae, where the peltate nature is SO slight, but I doubt that's what you're interested in :)

Even further, some plants like N. fusca, N. rhombicaulis, and N. platychila display sub peltate tendril insertion. I think that's all. I'm not up to date on highlanders.

I'd call campanulata more semi-peltate, as is sanguinea.

Sub-peltate has a "fusing" quality, I think. The tendril exits right through the lamina, at least in the clones with more rounded leaves. The clones with lanceolate leaves are pretty sub-peltate. I don't know why.

I've never noticed it, but you're right about N. sanguinea.

JMurphy: I'm on the 65th floor on the southeast side of a skyscraper. It's next to Lake Michigan so in summer I leave the operable windows open to get the nightly breeze off the lake. Sometimes my apartment is inside a cloud. In winter it's just plain cold. I don't have any special setup, so I guess technically, you could say I'm a windowsill grower.

JustLikeAPill: Thanks for the suggestions! I wasn't sure if the peltate trait carried over in the clipeata hybrids. Good to know when I make up my shopping list! :-D

Okay... what does peltate mean? Can you post a picture?

It's a rounded leaf, and it's when the tendril does not go all the way to the tip, but exits the lamina closer to the petiole.

http://www.hartmeyer.de/Bilder2007/N_clipeata_0701.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rajah_peltate.jpg/800px-Nep_rajah_peltate.jpg

http://www-cp.stech.co.jp/cp/img/Hyogo-FC/N-clipeata03.jpg

This is one of mine:
clintparsons

Forgot to mention...
I wouldn't include clip x eymae. I've never seen one that has peltate tendril insertion. That's not to say there isn't one, but I've seen hundreds of photos of that cross, and none of them have had it.

*looks for a peltate among the few*

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm taking vraev's advice on the rajah and hoping it works. I also want to try peltata but I can't find much info on it other than that it's a highlander. Is it in cultivation yet?

remember though...if u get it unpotted...it can take a while to reacclaimatise and form pitchers. Its a slow plant...but surely among the most beautiful in its leaves and its regal pitchers. Be patient and the king will reward you well. :)

Back