What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How "Rare"

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
How "rare" is NEPENTHES (spathulata x lowii) x thorellii??

Depends on what your idea of rare is. Are there a lot of them around? No. Ergo, not very many people have them, so it is rare in a supply sense...but not in a demand sense from what I can tell. It's an ok looking plant, but personally I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it...but that's just me!

Why do you ask though? I'd never buy a plant just because it was rare if I didn't like it.

yeah! go for plants that you like rather than the notion of "rarity". If you love the plants you get, u will spend the time giving it right conditions and caring about it. :)

I believe there is one on e-bay that says very rare. Many hybrids are very rare just because not many are produced. Again as vreav said buy plant because you like it, not rarity. I love raffs, not very rare but many I would not let go for anything and I think they are rare due to thier individuality.

They all are pretty rare to me. It's not like you can go anywhere and buy any of them.

JMurphy has a point. :-))

You can go to Bob Z.'s CP Photofinder site to roughly see how many other people are growing it. I think that any x N. lowii hybrid will be an interesting plant to grow.

I know I like plants with lowii in it. I was asking rarity of the plant because it helps me judge a max bid for it. The plant I was asking about was on ebay and I am always skeptical about them saying very rare. So that is why I ask. I am a nepenthes collector. Plus I like lowii crosses. So I was just curious if the auction was accurate in being "rare".

Dave interesting you bring up bob Z's photo site. My ventricosa hotlips is listed in there. LOL I freaked out when i went to go look and saw my picture. I totaly forget to look there for rareity.

You have to know this about me. If i wasn't interested in the plant i wouldn't have even asked about it. So since i asked there was an interest. My time is limited and i wouldn't have even waisted my time asking if I wasn't interested in the plant. I just wanted to ask for bidding purposes.

I just looked at bob z's site and don't even see this cross there.

Sometimes the amount of photos on the photofinder isn't an accurate representation of how many people have it. Some hybrids have 40 pictures, but 3 of them are mine. That gives the illusion that there are more people growing it than there really are.

yeah I am sure look at truncata x lowii it has a large amount of pictures yet it is really rare and sought after. I would like to see if this has been done before and what it looks like as an adult, but who knows. I think I might pass on it now my GF is freaking out that I am contimplating new plants when I have not moved up there yet. So I might just wait for now. Thanks guys.

Back