What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Cutting help?

Ok so i would like to get some cuttings from my nepenthis does, could someone show me how??? it would be very helpfull.

A website, photos, or even a diagram would be extremely helpfull

Thanks,

-Flash

from my nepenthis does
ummm....huh?

Is your plant vining? Even so, taking a cutting ATM might not be a good idea if the plant isn't large enough. Pictures please.

vining is when the plant is growing in between each new leaf.

I've heard that you shouldn't cut them until they make another rossette (may be misspelled) of plants. I'm not exactly sure of it but i guess it's true. I don't remember where I read it though.???

Some people are afraid that if you cut the stem and there are no basals or other activated nodes, the plant could die. I guess it technically could, but I've taken probably 50 cuttings and never had anything die. I've knocked the growth tip off my alata giant x spectabilis 2 times, cut it twice, and its fine (in fact, now it has 2 growth points lol).

Some people are afraid that if you cut the stem and there are no basals or other activated nodes, the plant could die. I guess it technically could, but I've taken probably 50 cuttings and never had anything die. I've knocked the growth tip off my alata giant x spectabilis 2 times, cut it twice, and its fine (in fact, now it has 2 growth points lol).

Could you maybe post a pics or a diagram of what i should do?

Lol...MS Paint ftw
cutting.jpg

Sweet ok i dont think my nep is ready than to be cut but thanks anyway :-D

.... and yes M.S. Paint is the stuff

Not sure if this will help, but here is a cutting I made from a ventrata:

HPIM0857-1.jpg

HPIM0856-1.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Yeah it helps alot but mine aint vining yet so I am not gonna cut it yet but thanks to everyone that was able to help me out it is very nice.

There is some information available on the web if you just search. Try using Google and searching on the words "nepenthes propagation" or "nepenthes cuttings".

I like PK's rendering of the scissors.

I'm gonna get that tattooed below my belly-button. :p

Dude i got it tattooed on my arm it looks sooo cool :-D

Lol...MS Paint ftw
cutting.jpg

This is the most awesome diagram ever. :-))

I was researching on how to take a cutting from my ventricosa because it is growing pretty fast and also has two basals quickly approaching 4" across. However, the distance between each of the mother leaves is only 1 inch, not 2. I suppose I should wait a big longer before doing anything to the mother or the basals.

Back