What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picture - Windowsill N. bicalcarata

This picture was taken a while back when this plant grew on a windowsill. I moved about three months ago, put the plant outside to see how it would fare, and it responded by acquiring a hefty cold burn, and then it stopped growing completely. It's currently recovering in my warm terrarium, and I've learned my lesson: People aren't lying when they say that N. bicalcarata absolutely hates cool weather!

As a side note, I also put a N. albomarginata outside, and it responded pretty much the same way.

It's called lowland for a reason. :-))
But anyway awesome plant!

It's called lowland for a reason. :-))
But anyway awesome plant!

Yeah, but I thought I'd experiment, since it's so fast-growing and it doesn't really belong in my small terrarium. Oh well!

What were the windowsill conditions, and how long did it take to settle in? I am going to experiment with this when it warms up a little bit.

I can't remember exact conditions, but the room it grew in got very hot in the summer (upper 90s without air conditioning) and the humidity was extremely low, maybe in the low teens. The plant got 3-4 hours of direct morning light and it sat in water for most of the time.

Settling in time was maybe a couple months, if that. I was actually surprised at how quickly it took to the windowsill, and it produced three nice pitchers before winter hit (growing halted), and then I moved, so it had to move with me.

Back