What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New nep's today!

No i dont but even some windowsill neps are nice to keep :woot:

hen the daylight levels get lower I will increase the photoperiod
Give neps 16 hours of light all 365 days of the year. There is no reason to mess with their photo period whatsoever.

and it will reach it's peak when its the winter equinox hmm perhaps 20 hours.
Way too much light. And winter's already over...I assume you mean summer?

not quite...they may not be fond of terrariums...but they grow their stock inside greenhouses...which have high humidity and obscured light. seveal plants i got from them took a nose dive when i thought they were all OK with lower humidity. you dont expect to get a rajah or lowii from them and it be fully adjusted to low humidity do you?

Alex

they do have a section of there greenhouse that they mist and I believe that section includes lowii, hamata and rajah.
most of there nepenthes they sell you would be safe putting on a window and then there are "crazy" people lik ElGecko who has his rajah growing on a windowsill.

No, I'm pretty sure he meant winter... I just don't know why.

xvart.

Give neps 16 hours of light all 365 days of the year. There is no reason to mess with their photo period whatsoever.

Hmmm so i should leave my flourescents on for 16hours a day?

12-16 hours. I keep them at 16 hrs/day 365. They grow better that way I think.

Ok thanks, time to go switch the timer.

no they were not growing on my window last winter, they are now though, I mean next winter.
and sun is stronger than fluorescents so I can't see why 20 hours of fluorescents would hurt them when the sunlight is less concentrated during winter and the days get shorter.

Becuase it takes energy for the plants to use the light and they need some time to rest ???

Are you seriously trying to tell me you have 20 hours of sun in the winter?
Plants need at least 8 hours of "sleep".

Are you seriously trying to tell me you have 20 hours of sun in the winter?
Plants need at least 8 hours of "sleep".

No I'm saying that we have little to no sun during winter and the skies are overcast so I was going to leave fluorescents on for 20 hours so the plants still get lots of light since I grow them in full sun during summer and spring. How about leaving the lights on 17 hours? I would start out with like 8 and then 10 and then 12 and then like 16-17 maybe 18 but I guess 20 is not popular.

How about you start and finish with 16. If you go to 20 and your plants weaken, don't say I didn't warn you.

because Nepenthes are equitorial plants. naturally they would only get 12 hours. 16 hours is already over board sorta. and a plant will fizzle into nothing if it gets no darkness, in the "same" way we will die if we dont get sleep.

another point to state is that for the most part, Nepenthes dont get blasting full sun in the wild. more like dappled light and the like. 16 hours of fluorescent light is like 12 hours of dappled light....sorta.

Alex

How about you start and finish with 16. If you go to 20 and your plants weaken, don't say I didn't warn you.
I guess 16 is the hours for optimal growth wouldn't you agree PK :grin:
sorry I deserve a :slap: right about now, well anyways good luck with your new neps blaze.

I guess 16 is the hours for optimal growth wouldn't you agree PK :grin:
sorry I deserve a :slap: right about now, well anyways good luck with your new neps blaze.

Ok than John you asked for it... From me to you... :slap:

Oh no i must stop you... :nana: you will never get me!

Back