What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps Lighting

• Thread starter bianchi914
  • Start date
Hi guys soo i have 2 neps now and am wondering if they will get enough light living under 2 40W flourescents for 12-14 huors a day? I am pretty sure this will work but am just getting reasured.. they will be 4-8" from the pot the way i have them set up.... What do you say???

Ryan

I say that is plenty of light. Those are the 4' shoplights correct? Even if they are only T12's they should be just fine.

What type of bulbs are you using?

Daniel

Sounds fine to me, but I'd move the light as close as you can; it's brighter that way.

I saw this shoplight today, and the box says it emits 30% more light while using 2 32W T8's as opposed to 2 40W T12s. Let's keep in mind T8's emit 2700 lumens per bulb, and T12's emit 3000 (GE daylight bulbs). Now, will someone explain to me how a thinner, weaker bulb emits more light?

Sounds fine to me, but I'd move the light as close as you can; it's brighter that way.

I saw this shoplight today, and the box says it emits 30% more light while using 2 32W T8's as opposed to 2 40W T12s. Let's keep in mind T8's emit 2700 lumens per bulb, and T12's emit 3000 (GE daylight bulbs). Now, will someone explain to me how a thinner, weaker bulb emits more light?

Hrmm... that's a very good question. Of course the diameter of the bulb is almost irrelevant considering T5's are even thinner and brighter, but as for the lumen output of the bulbs that is perplexing.

Daniel

its just efficiency. T8 bulbs are more efficient than T12's and T5's are more than T8's. In a nutshell, one can say advancement in technology?? I know its a real stupid answer for those wanting a scientific reply...but I am too lazy to look up the physics behind it. All I know is based on personal experience with similar sized T8 and T12.

I know its a real stupid answer for those wanting a scientific reply...but I am too lazy to look up the physics behind it.
I'll just take your word for it and go pick up some T8s tomorrow. If they don't look as bright when I stare at them, I'll just take them back or something ;)

OK what type of 40W are good guys?

Thanks for all the help so far :-D

its just efficiency. T8 bulbs are more efficient than T12's and T5's are more than T8's. In a nutshell, one can say advancement in technology?? I know its a real stupid answer for those wanting a scientific reply...but I am too lazy to look up the physics behind it. All I know is based on personal experience with similar sized T8 and T12.

I understand the efficiency behind it, I was just referring to the lumen output of the bulbs as advertised.

lumen count is a complicated subject as well as it involves the spectrum of the bulbs, the voltage, the type of the bulb altogether. My good friend Av8tor1 should join in this topic. He knows quite a lot about lighting. He can answer all your questions. :)

PK! I grow all my VFT's, ceph, cobra, sundews etc...i.e., everything except neps under one single 4 foot 2 x T8. So far they are doing great and color up very well. Especially the vft's...they even drool in the traps as i can see nectar being produced near the teeth. Clearly its no slouch. ;)

Yeah I'll give it a go. I've been using T12s the whole time.

T8s produce more lumens per watt than T12s. As someone pointed out, T12s still put out more light per tube, but they use proportionally more watts to do so. If you simply replace your T12s with T8s, you'll get less light! But you can get more light from five T8s than four T12s for roughly the same wattage.

Capslock

Thanks i think i will get ythe t12 GE aquaiurm plant lights

I'd get the T12 Daylight bulbs. They produce 1000 more lumens for the same wattage, and the color temp is better.

Yeah, the Daylight are the ones I use. That or "cool white". They are also MUCH cheaper than the aquarium bulbs.

Max

Ok than my mind is made up time to get the dayliight bulbs :-D

My Nepenthes are under a pair of 32w daylight T8's at about the same distance. I didn't get much in the way of pitchers with 12 and 14 hour photoperiods, but they're doing very well with 16 hours of light per day.

I am groing mine under 2 T12 40W daylight bulbs now for 16 hours a day... I will keep you guys updated on what happens :-D

I always tell people to grow under at least four.

Back