What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

did they send me 2 plants by accident? confused!!

laxgoal

I Like Watching Things Grow...
Ok, so I just noticed that my larger ventricosa has a little plant thats coming from the soil... I'm not really sure if it is a seperate baby plant or what... heres some pics

ventricosa005.jpg

ventricosa006.jpg

Thats probably an offshoot from the ventricosa. Next time you transplant it try to seperate them.

alright thanks!

At this stage, I would suggest leaving them alone and allowing them to grow for a while. :) It seems that the offshoot is infact an activated node of the plant. This means that there is a possibility that the offshoot doesn't have a root system which makes it fragile and increases the chances of mortality in both the offshoot and mother plant on seperation.

Looks like a basal to me. I don't separate basals until they're about 4", but I don't let them get to more than about 6" before removing them. It depends on how you slice it. If you're not good with a razor blade, your basal won't have any roots...I've never lost any though.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is there any major reason to separate them? Is it just personal preference?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is there any major reason to separate them? Is it just personal preference?

In my personal experience, a basal can be a bit taxing on the mother plant. Sometimes the mother plant will slow down in growth as the basal is born (and even continue this slow growth pattern as the basal becomes its own entity), so separating the two plants is often the best course of action.

Good to know...thanks.

I have a 5 inch basal on my ventricosa that I guess I will separate later on...probably summer.

Too bad no one wants to trade for ventricosa haha!!

Whats a good size to cut off an offshoot or basal or whatever?

Whats a good size to cut off an offshoot or basal or whatever?

PK already said it:

Looks like a basal to me. I don't separate basals until they're about 4", but I don't let them get to more than about 6" before removing them. It depends on how you slice it. If you're not good with a razor blade, your basal won't have any roots...I've never lost any though.

xvart.

Ok but what does PK mean by "it depends how you slice it"? I mean, is there a certain angle your supposed to cut it at?

Yeah, how would you remove the basal once it is more mature. where do you want to "slice" it?

In my personal experience, a basal can be a bit taxing on the mother plant. Sometimes the mother plant will slow down in growth as the basal is born (and even continue this slow growth pattern as the basal becomes its own entity), so separating the two plants is often the best course of action.

I have a couple of either ventricosas or ventratas that won't stop producing basals and the mamas don't seem to have a problem at all. It may just depend on the species.

I'm in agreement with the "just leave it be for now" side. However, I had a rafflesiana that was going well and a basal broke off while repotting so I potted it separately and the mama took a bad turn and is no longer with us but I have the basal pitchering nicely so there is a good argument for separating as well.

You slice the stem with a razor blade. Do a search, or ask me when you're actually ready to cut it.

Back