What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

leaves/ humidity question

laxgoal

I Like Watching Things Grow...
Ok, so here is my first nep a N. Mikei. when I got it the leaves were a perfect green but since they have been under my lights they have turned red and 2 of them seem to have little white blotches on them. I'm guessing its just acclimating, but I dont have any humidifiers or spray the terrarium. What would you guys reccomend. should I cut off the leaves. how much should i humidify. I have a P. Agnata x Gypsicola in there and U. Sandersonii so i dont want to damage them either.

MIKEIAPRIL6002.jpg

Also, when I got the plant the lid on this pitcher was open but it recently closed. Does this have anything to do with the health of the plant?

MIKEIAPRIL6001.jpg

It is just getting used to the lower humidity and the higher light. dont worry-and dont cut those leaves off! it'll just make it worse. The lid closed to save it's liquid from eveaporating fyi. Mikeii's tough and should be fine in your terra for a long time to come!

don't worry about the color. That means you are giving it better lighting conditions. Yeah! the lid closing is due to low humidity. You can continue growing it in the lower humidity. However, if it stops pitchering....u might have to bump it up a tad bit.

The white stuff looks like mineral deposits to me, what kind of water are you using for it?

Don't N. mikei's generally have a redish tint to them anyway? At least in the right light, as was suggested? I would think it's probably enjoying your light more there than wherever it was before.

xvart.

The white rings are probably just dried deposits of chemical fertilizer.

Your plant looks realy good!

As Mr. Flytrap pointed out, and viper added to, the white spots are most likely deposits. If they came with the plant, then you can simply wet with distilled water and wipe the leaves clean. If the spots formed while you have had the plant, then you should make sure the water you are using is pure/filtered. If this is the case, it is akin to water spots drying on your car.

Daniel

yeah, they have formed since I got the plant. But I have been using distilled water that I have gotten at grocery stores in gallons... So I'm pretty sure that is not the issue. Also, What method of humidifying do you suggest, and will humidifying be harmful to the P. Agnata x Gypsicola and the U. Sandersonii?

Back