What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got a couple more shipments in recently and wanted to share. I am indeed hopelessly addicted:

Inermis x Bongso
InermisXBongsoArrival.jpg

Inermis x Bongso Pitcher
InermisxBongsoArrivalPitcher.jpg

Tobaica
TobaicaArrival.jpg

Tobaica Pitcher
TobaicaArrivalPitcher.jpg

Stenophylla
StenophyllaArrival.jpg

Stenophylla Pitcher
StenophyllaArrivalPitcherdirty.jpg

Petiolata
PetiolataArrival.jpg

Petiolata Pitcher
PetiolataArrivalPitcher.jpg

Muluensis x Lowii (I had this one before but this is a very nice size showing some nicely colored pitchers)
MuluensisxLowiiArrival.jpg

Muluensis x Lowii Pitcher
MuluensisxLowiiArrivalPitcher.jpg

Spectabilis x Mira
SpectabilisxMiraArrival.jpg

Bicalcarata 'Red' - Hrmm looks pretty green to me :). Should get a nice red once it develops some decent sized pitchers though.
RedBicalcArrival.jpg

Argentii, Northiana, Veitchii
ArgentiiNorthianaVeitchiiArrival.jpg

And an Izumeae x Truncata from Ludwig (This is the same cross as 'Black Dragon' only this is seed grown)
IzumeaexTruncataArrival.jpg

Izumeae x Truncata Pitcher
IzumeaexTruncataArrivalPitcher.jpg

Daniel

Wow, you must be getting packed. Got any pics of the whole set up now? Thanks for sharin Daniel.

damn! totally over the limit man! sheesh! lol! you are seriously addicted. lol! damn!!!! thats a heck lot of plants at once. Add to that the recent shipments other than this one....sheesh!!!

One thing bad though...personally I wouldn't get like 100 plants at once. lol! If you get like max 8 - 10 at once...it gives you a chance to carefully monitor them, adapt them and so on. But hey, you seem to be growing your plants pretty well...so all the power to ya. ;) lol!

nice man! some of those plants are on my want list now. :p loL!

Nice. That N. spectabilis x mira is going to be a winner when it grows up. Is the N. veitchii highland? Thanks for sharing, and good growing.

xvart.

Lucky...your tobaica is so much more colorful than mine.

Thanks for the comments everyone :).

Got any pics of the whole set up now?

Not any recent pics... i'll try to get some up soon though.

One thing bad though...personally I wouldn't get like 100 plants at once. lol! If you get like max 8 - 10 at once...it gives you a chance to carefully monitor them, adapt them and so on.

It seems when I do that I end up missing out on some real nice offerings. Granted some of these plants will be around for a while, but I figured I may as well try them out.

Nice. That N. spectabilis x mira is going to be a winner when it grows up. Is the N. veitchii highland?

Yeah I'm pretty stoked on that one. It seems like it should make a very nice cross once it gets colorful pitchers. The Veitchii is a highland one, which I am also stoked about. If only it was striped lol... that would be the best :).

Lucky...your tobaica is so much more colorful than mine.

Yeah I'm really glad that it's not as bland as some that I have seen. How quick of a grower is yours?

Pretty quick for just a seedling. I got it at 2.5", and now its 4+" a couple months later. It puts leaves out relatively quickly, and is one of, if not my best, pitcherer.

Wow! Where do you put all of these things lol. Last time I saw your setup, it looked pretty full!

great neps, I really like the seed grown Izumeae x Truncata cross. Looks very woody colored in the larger picture.

Great plants! I'd love to see a picture of your entire setup.

I believe they have more color when they are young, your plant is probably older PK so no worries your plants fine.

The place he got it from is a BE distributor. The BE tobaicas are seed grown, and are a mix of green, orange, and red forms. I endued up with a green.

Nepethes,

Hey I got a few questions for you. I noticed that you were growing one of your Neps outside, and I noticed that you are from San Diego, so I am just wondering how that is working out for you since I thought Neps needed a higher humidity. I am also from Southern California and would love to be able to just plop some Neps outside with the rest of my plants instead of having to make a terrarium for them. So ya thanks for any replies!!

Zach

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm once again running out of room, but I will try to get a pic up soon to illustrate that. I can't right now because my roommate is parked in the garage and I cant back up far enough to take the pic. Basically though I have 4 40 Gallon breeder tanks, 3 20 Gallon highs, and 3 5 Gallon minis.

It puts leaves out relatively quickly, and is one of, if not my best, pitcherer.

Yes!! And seed raised too? Sweeet.

And the total cost was? >:}

Unfortunately the total cost was a little over 200$. I don't really like to think about that though =P.

Nepethes,

Hey I got a few questions for you. I noticed that you were growing one of your Neps outside, and I noticed that you are from San Diego, so I am just wondering how that is working out for you since I thought Neps needed a higher humidity. I am also from Southern California and would love to be able to just plop some Neps outside with the rest of my plants instead of having to make a terrarium for them. So ya thanks for any replies!!

Zach

Hey Zach, what part of SoCal you from? Neps can adjust to lower humidity levels, but luckily I live close to the beach so we naturally get a little higher humidity than normal. I only have a few neps outside, and was forced to put the Izumeae x Truncata out there because it was very large. The guy that I got it from grows many Neps outside though and he also has no problems with them (also in San Diego). I would suggest some shade cloth or something if you get a lot of direct sunlight. If the direct sunlight is going to be very limited, but the plant will receive a lot of dappled light, then it should be fine. Either way, plants outside need to be watered regularly because they dry out extremely fast. I have a couple VFT's, a couple Sundews, and a Sarracenia outside and they don't seem to mind. At first I made the mistake of giving them too much direct light and some plants suffered, but they are all bouncing back and growing normally again. If you list your conditions in the spot you plan to place plants, and what part of California you're from (inland/coastal/etc.) I would have a better idea of how the plants might do.

Daniel

Hey Daniel thanks for the reply. I'm from Yorba Linda, which is right near Anaheim. It is basically inland...about 30 minutes drive from the beach so ya my humidity would probably be lower than yours unfortunately. Currently I have two different mini bogs growing outside...one filled with three different types of dews and the other with VFT's, Sarr's, and an Utric. They are in different positions in my yard, but they both get filtered to direct sunlight depending on what time of day it is...and the one with the VFT's gets a couple more hours of sun. I don't currently have any Neps, but I really want to purchase some and I was thinking about making a terrarium for them. I was just thinking about some really easy beginner Neps like a Ventricosa, Sanguina, and maybe a Judith Finn...do you think any of these could possibly survive outside in my conditions, or do you think it would be a better idea to go with the terrarium? Thanks for any replies!!

Zach

Back