What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case of the Wiggles

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Are 'wiggles' along leaves just normal for some Nepenthes? Most that grow out have a nice smooth, broad shape along the entire leaf. Yet some are just ridiculous. Best example, my Red Dragon. This thing always looks like I'm growing it in some type of wind vortex or something crazy.

I have a few others that do this too, sometimes spectabilis and miranda. Both of those will somewhat flatten out over time though. But mainly, I just want to make sure these plants aren't struggling with something, such as temperatures that cause this shape to happen.

Thanks,
Nate

My Spectabilis only grows straight leaves... just thought I'd put that out there.

My N. "Red Dragon" does the same thing; but, not as much. In scientific terms, the period of my "wiggles" appears to be much longer.

xvart.

Yup thats normal. My thorelii (d) x truncata does that, but only when the leaves are over 1' long. There are also some wavy leaved maxima forms, which are distinguished by the leaves (Mt. Sesean, among other places). I've also seen some wavy-leaved sp. Viking forms.

Are the 'wiggles' something that make the leaves wavy kind of?

Hehe sorry I'm not very technical when I don't have to be. Well that puts my mind to ease a bit. I'm definatly beginning to understand different attitudes various neps have, in terms of growing shapes, sizes, and attributes.

Here's a pic of the spectabilis Davey... it's not as extreme as the dragon, and tends to smooth out after a while.

You can see it on my N. x Red Dragon in this post, too.

xvart.

hmmm... looks normal. Thats kinda cool. I wonder what makes the leaves do that??

My N. 'Red Dragon' does the exact same thing. I am pretty sure there is no problem with it... at least I hope not :-D

MFT:

If I remember correctly we got our spects. from the same source. Mine's not wavy like that at all. I kinda like it though.

Back