What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ventricosa Care

I wouldn't use any food products. These plants evolved to absorb organic nitrogen and proteins from insects. I wouldn't start putting things in the pitchers that don't belong there.

Feeding Nepenthes is the most effective method of fertilization when compared to fertilization through the soil and foiler feeding.
Don't be so sure ;)

soo... maybe if I get more, I could do an experiment with different insects?

I wouldn't use any food products. These plants evolved to absorb organic nitrogen and proteins from insects.

While I've never looked into it deeply, I totally understand what you are saying. All I remember from when I first started growing was a thread somewhere that discussed using skim milk because it was "easier to break down" over other milk/food products. I've since ceased doing this because I now only fertilize through soil. Additionally, I never really observed any great growth spurts but again, it was when I was less "obsessed" and less educated.

Don't be so sure ;)

lol. Touché. As soon as I clicked submit I started thinking about it again. Once again, regurgitating information instead of relating from experience.

xvart.

It's unnecessary to do an experiment with different insects. They're pretty much all 60%+ protein, and all have roughly the same surface area/to volume ratio.

If I get my ventricosa and it has no pitchers, how long will it take to pitcher with correct care?

Back