What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Jacquileanea

Would this species work well on a grow rack? I really would like to know of some species that are breath taking that will work on a rack. Preferablbly higlanders

What? The fact it would be resting on a rack (or not) is totally and completely irrelevant. You could grow it on a brick if you could provide the right conditions, or in the trunk of a car, or wherever. Fail to provide the right conditions, and it'll die, regardless of where its grown.

Considering the cost and your barely (if that) 1 month of experience, I'd wait a long time before committing to that, were I you.

Jacquelineae is not a hard plant to grow in the right conditions. However achieving the right conditions may be hard. It is a very finicky plant and not recommended for a novice. It also has a hefty price tag, and that money could be put towards buying more plants that will grow better in your conditions with less risk. If you have lots of money buy one and experiment, if you don’t have lots of money build your collection starting with easy ones and working your way up. I will say that there are many nepenthes that are much much harder to grow than jacquelineae. In my opinion i think you should expand your collection with easier to grow plants, try aristolochioides, it is becoming more available and in my opinion is much more forgiving than the jacquelineae, but still is an awesome looking plant

I actually find my Jaquelineae to be quite an easy species. I also find it easier than my Aristolochioides. I do maintain high humidity, however my temperatures can be quite high on occasion and the plant seems to not mind too much. Either way, as PK and Sgardner have advised, you may want to try a couple nice inexpensive hybrids to start out with. There are plenty out there that are quite spectacular. If you still intend on getting one, you shouldn't have many problems with it. Give it cool nights, good consistent light, and high humidity. You could even do a small 5 gallon tank or something since it will take quite a while to outgrow that considering the size they are sold at. Good luck.

Daniel

I'd love to try this plant, but the price always scares me away. It seems to be pretty easy to obtain though, unlike N. hamata.

well...one thing though. HOW is your Lowii doing? Lowii is a typical highlander. If your lowii is growing steadily without problems and is pitchering...then you shall have no probs with a jacquelineae.

I actually find my Jaquelineae to be quite an easy species. I also find it easier than my Aristolochioides. I do maintain high humidity, however my temperatures can be quite high on occasion and the plant seems to not mind too much. Either way, as PK and Sgardner have advised, you may want to try a couple nice inexpensive hybrids to start out with. There are plenty out there that are quite spectacular. If you still intend on getting one, you shouldn't have many problems with it. Give it cool nights, good consistent light, and high humidity. You could even do a small 5 gallon tank or something since it will take quite a while to outgrow that considering the size they are sold at. Good luck.

Daniel

What conditions would you recommend for those two? I just happen to receive them both recently.

I will someday grow a Jac., but I'm saving it for when I can better control my environment. Once I get a growchamber set up I will give it a shot, but for now I won't risk it. Just based off of pictures I've seen, it's one of my top favorite pitchers.

I wouldn't really reccomend a jaq just yet, nor an aristo. Slow down. Lowii was ambitious for a 1-month-old CPer, but good luck with it :). I would highly recommend maxima, it's very easy and a fast and breathe thaking plant. I love mine. Fusca's another good one that went crazy on my grow rack. But then "grow rack" is a broad term as PK said. Do you know what minimum and maximum temps it gets to in the day and at night? And any idea about the humidity? Light is also very important, how many bulbs/what kind of light do you use? Flourescents? MH?
Here are some good, easy and breathe thaking hybrids.
"Sabre, "black dragon," "marbled dragon" and "red dragon."
basically any hybrid involving maxima, ventricosa, or alata.
truncata worked for me, but gawd it's slow. I have a pasian highland form.
macfarlanei also worked, but some people say it needs high humidity. Haven't found that to be true...
hope this helps
Ben

P.S. I just had to make fun of your spelling. "Breathe thaking..." :-))

he got his lowii from the same place I did and mine doesn't look great it arrived in rather poor conditions :( but I grow hamata really well so it's not like I can't grow lowii.
I have an epphipiata that does great right now it's forming two new pitchers at once and it has like 4-5 new leaves that have formed since I bought it mid-late winter.

While we're on the topic of spelling, you butchered the name of the taxon. Its jacquelineae.

"Sabre, "black dragon," "marbled dragon" and "red dragon."

You need to mention these are impossible to find anymore. Especially N. x black dragon :-(

but I grow hamata really well so it's not like I can't grow lowii.
that's incorrect. hamata is NOT a hard plant to grow. if its anything like its cousin N. tentaculata it would be one of my easiest growing highlanders. lowii likes it much cooler for signifigant growth increse. mine is just a tad too hot and the leaves arent increasing in size. pitcher to leaf ratio is 2:1!!! and epphipiata is way easier growing that lowii is.

saying that if you grow this plant then you can grow this plant cant be applied to Nepenthes. you could start with ventrata and work your way up to villosa. so if you can grow ventrata then that must mean you can grow villosa...doesn't work like that.

anywho back to the main point. from what i know and heard N. jacq is a typical highlander. high humidity and cool nights and warm days. give it that and you should be ok. however like other people said.... unless you know for 100% sure you can grow it. dont get it. the price on one of those babies will make your wallet cry if your conditions arent right. start small. and slowly work your way up.

Alex

beat me to it glider!

I forgot to mention bongso, easy and breathethaking plant. Dark, dark purple.

What conditions would you recommend for those two? I just happen to receive them both recently.

Hey there Jim,

I usually maintain a decent daytime humidity ~60-70%. My daytime temps are usually 70-80F. My nighttime humidity is usually very saturated (probably 90+%, and my night temps aren't difficult to attain at 60-65F. I grow the Jaq and Aristo in a tank so the humidity is fairly consistent. I also have them under T5 lighting. The Jaq appears to be more vigorous than the Aristo, but this could be because of the vendor I received the Aristo from.

Daniel

I guess the hamata has a bad rap only due to its very early stages of high sensitivity to low humidity and requirement for proper acclaimatisation. I guess the 100$ plants from the VENDOR that DM got it...have been well acclaimatised to greenhouse conditions...unlike the TC babies from the main source. But yeah.... lowii is a perfect highlander.....its right there in a zone which defines the plants you can grow. If you are fine with lowii...u can probably grow burbidguae, ramispina, jacq., izumiae, etc...etc...without problems. However...plants such as talangensis are a step further as they have their own requirements for high lighting. I think that has been lacking in my setup and hence the talang for me hasn't yet pitchered.

Basically you work up your way as Alex mentioned. At a month of experience, unless you have read tons of stuff on these plants, are willing to go down the bumpy road of a major change to your lifestyle (as harder plants require a bit more attention), you should first stick to beautiful hybrids which are generally easier.....or even....try a ramispina...which IMO is a very underrated species. It is among my favorite species and can be a sight to behold if grown well. its also a very friendly and easy highlander to start with.

You need to mention these are impossible to find anymore.
Unless you want a seed grown sibling of Red Dragon. Same grex = close enough, right?

My jaq is my favorite plant! It grows quite fast, and as long as the humidity is over 50% it pitchers! granted, it has acclimated for a few months, but still. You could adapt it to nearly everything, but i wouldn't risk it so soon into your cp obsession. As everyone else is saying, start lower. If you like the flared peristome look, try the "flared peristome" version of maxima!

I may have to meove them to the water bath, where I keep B. liniflora and an N. globosa.

Back