What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new and first nep!

:)

Congrats on your new nep! It looks just like my first one. I got mine at a nursery too...one day while shopping I was getting ready to check out and when I got up to the register it was hanging overhead. I almost didn't see it, but when I did, I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Now, it is almost 4 feet tall when the 2 tendrills are picked up. And I can't really move it cause it has wound it's pitchers around my grow rack and even on some other plants, lol. Anyways, this is just the beginning for you. One nep is never enough :). Enjoy!

Sara

everyone's finding these good ventratas except me xD

Sexed traits aren't universal... some species may yield similar hybrids independent of which plant was the mother, while other species may have traits that are only carried on the male or female germ line.
As for the ID, when it's a ventrata-group plant as this one seems to be, I always like to mention "Deroose's Alata," which is a plant that was distributed labeled as though it were N. alata but was actually N. alata x ( alata x ventricosa ) and simply named after the mother plant. Looks like your typical N. x. ventrata but shows more of the alata traits.
~Joe

I think you're right seedjar, it came with a little tag and a picture of a well grown N. x ventrata, but it was weird because it had N. alata's speckles, so it might as well be N. alata x ( alata x ventricosa ).

Um, well were the speckles red? Both alata and ventricosa have speckles, ventricosa's is red and has fewer of them though. I don'r remember what color alata's are.

Um, well were the speckles red? Both alata and ventricosa have speckles, ventricosa's is red and has fewer of them though. I don'r remember what color alata's are.

Well, I'm talking about the picture, I've seen a pitcure of a regular N. ventrata, and it was pink, but mine are reddish at the top and green at the bottom with some speckles.

There are lots of color variations among N. x. ventrata and similar hybrids. N. x. ventrata is any plant with one alata and one ventricosa as a parent, and there are several distinctive color variations of either of those species.
It's really early to get an absolute ID on this plant; it'll be several years before enough of its traits are apparent for a comprehensive answer. Knowing that it's probably a ventrata-type hybrid or in the ventricosa group is enough for you to grow it properly. Just be thankful you didn't wind up with some unknown oddball that won't grow at all because it needs some weird difficult conditions.
~Joe

The one near Sea World. I think it was 20$. It was over a foot tall and had pitchers like this:

Ventratamaybe.jpg

Nice plant. The one I purchased was definitely a bit smaller, but still an almost-mature Nep nonetheless. I'm just hoping that it recovers quickly and starts to grow out.

Back