What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are these?

Recently I stumbled upon these nepenthes while hiking. I collected some sample and they are groing well. Can anyone help me to identify them? Thanks. I think I am addicted to it now. They are gorgeous.

_DSC0154.jpg

_DSC0163.jpg

_DSC9882.jpg

The first two are amps. Not sure on the other one.

The last picture looks like N. rafflesiana uppers.

xvart.

Yup, I agree with xvart... N. rafflesiana uppers...

The first two are N. ampullaria (Ant answered but not sure if you're familiar with the abbreviation). I've been told they're great for a year-round warm humid terrarium.

Apenan's location is Sarawak, Borneo and he found the Nepenthes while hiking... I figure a terrarium is hardly necessary ;-)

The last picture looks like N. rafflesiana uppers.

xvart.

Guy's, I don't have a clue about ID'ing these, but arn't those pitchers on the ground? Can uppers grow on the ground?
Tom

Guy's, I don't have a clue about ID'ing these, but arn't those pitchers on the ground? Can uppers grow on the ground?
Tom

LOL, good point but they're uppers, they have the loop.

Ya, uppers can be on the ground, they are uppers because the trendal comes out from behind the pitcher, not from the front.

Those uppers are on the ground because the vine is scrambling and not climbing. Uppers have to do with the climbing stage of the plant's growth, not where they are in relation to the ground.

Ya, uppers can be on the ground, they are uppers because the trendal comes out from behind the pitcher, not from the front.

No. Pitcher classification is in relation to the vine of the Nepenthes. The vine is probably scrambling along the ground, as Clint suggested. If it was climbing a tree, it would be locationally "upper" compared to the "lowers."

xvart.

Thanks, Ant, xvart, wmgorum, thbjr, capensis, JustLikeAPill for all your useful information. Thanks also to Valydius for clarifying the abbreviation. I am a novice to nepenthes and I have so much to learn from all the gurus here.

Yes, wmgorum, I live in the island of Borneo where carnivorous palnts are plentiful. In some places, you need to watch out where you are going to put your foot on next or risk stepping on a nepenthes. That is the real situation here.

Back