What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my new bical x amp & bellii

Here are some pictures from my new neps. they're planted in 8 inch hanging pots.

N. bellii
IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

N. bicalcarata x ampullaria
IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

Since bellii is a miniature, I'm going to say it's the first (smaller) one :)
mr obvious! :p

~b

Which ones which? Neither of them looks like mine!

Since bellii is a miniature, I'm going to say it's the first (smaller) one :)

OOPS! LOL! I just noticed the label above the pics! :blush:

I will!

:censor:

They were not labeled before! I know cause all three bellii pictures were not together ;)
Try to fool someone else!! haha

get them out of that peat based stuff though! I just rotted the roots of a lot of my plants having them in a peat based mix. I moved to a tree fern orchid mix that allows for more drainage. If anything you need to add more other stuff to your mix. I would say it has way to much peat in it. A bunch of redwood mulch would be good too. I lost my albomarginata by having it in almost straight peat. I rotted the roots.

Other than that the plants look good.

get them out of that peat based stuff though! I just rotted the roots of a lot of my plants having them in a peat based mix. I moved to a tree fern orchid mix that allows for more drainage. If anything you need to add more other stuff to your mix. I would say it has way to much peat in it. A bunch of redwood mulch would be good too. I lost my albomarginata by having it in almost straight peat. I rotted the roots.

Other than that the plants look good.

i actually did get some orchid mix stuff that the local nursery mix and bag themselves. i mixed roughly 3:2:1, orchid bark mix:LFS:peat

~b

I used this stuff from tropics one. the local nursery sells it here and it is small fir bark, tree fern pieces and sponge rock. It is rather fine for orchids I do think, but I think it will work great for nepenthes. The only orchids I used it on were paphs who like it a little wetter than my other orchids. So I shall see how things do.

With that said I have a maxima hybrid that is in about 75% cedar mulch with 25% peat that is going great too. So peat can be used just not in a high ratio I believe. Now that I have learned a little from my mistakes.

I think if you use some orchid bark and perlite the peat will dont compact too much...

I've done well with a 5:2:2 peat/perlite/vermiculite mix for over 2 years. The peat doesn't even break down at the bottom until about 18 mo's in, and then it is only slightly compacted in the bottom 1/8" or so of the pot. I think peat is a bad idea if you're heavy handed with the watering can. If you water properly, peat isn't a problem. I water until it drips out the pots once every 3-5 days...usually about 3 though.

Hell, I've got fusca Sarawak growing in the same mix , and it grows great/quick.

yeah, I think you can see how compact your mix is becoming if you check how good the pots drip when you water the plants, and then play with the porportions of your mix to get the one that works better with you.

I use a mix of equal parts of peat, perlite and orchid bark (I handpick small pices only to get a more uniform looking of the mix).

i replanted today in this mix.

IMG_0621.JPG

hows this stuff look, its extremely airy compared to the other stuff...

its 2:1:1(orchid seedling mix:fir bark:peat)
before anyone freaks, the orchid mix is mixed and bagged by the local nursery and doesnt contain any additives.

~b

I thought I'd throw in my two cents:

For all my Nepenthes, both highlanders and lowlanders, I use a mix of LFS and perlite only, and the ratio usually comes out to about 3:1, so it's mostly moss. I find that the pinch of perlite adds just enough aeration without keeping the mix too dry.

All my plants seem to enjoy this airy mix. I've always been a bit apprehensive about using peat with my Nepenthes.

Back