What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanting to start a Terrarium

Hey guys I'm am extremely interested in starting a terrarium of some Neps, but I am unsure of which plants I should buy. I am not going to be buying a large terrarium as I do not have room for it...at most a 20 gallon tank is probably what I will get. So anyway, I've heard that Ventricosas and Sanguinas are the kind of noob Neps to get...but I'm wondering if they will quickly outgrow the terrarium? So basically my question is if anyone has any suggestions for plants that are somewhat easy to grow yet stay kind of small so they won't outgrow their house. Thanks for any responses!!!

Zach

Both of those Nepenthes you mention would not require a terrarium, especially in Southern California. Both of mine pitchered all winter with a humidity between 0 and 20%.

If you want to build a terrarium anyways, search through the bog garden, terrarium forum. There's lots of great pictures and descriptions.

xvart.

A good lowlander for a terrarium would be N. belli. They are small and slower growing. Also they need higher humidity which a terrarium would provide. They are very picky/touchy when it comes to shipping and transplanting but once acclimated do just fine in a terrarium.

Hey everyone thanks for the replies! Xvart...I've heard that both those Neps do not require terrariums, but the only thing is that I really don't have any windows in my house that get more than a couple of hours of sunlight per day. Would it be possible to keep them outside in the Southern California heat? I have a spot in my yard where they would get maybe a few hours of morning light and then no more for the rest of the day, and if not would they do okay in a window with only a couple hours sunlight per day? Thanks for any replies!!

Zach

I grow all of my highland Nepenthes outside in San Diego, California. They only get about an hour of direct sunlight each day, and they grow just fine.

You could also use a grow rack setup??? that would work pretty good for those 2

Hey Bianchi,

Are you talking about a grow rack inside or outside? Or actually lol can you even have a grow rack outside? I guess then it would just be a rack of plants...but ya I don't really have room for a grow rack inside, but I am really thinking about just sticking a Ventricosa and a Sanguina outside where they will get early morning light and shade for the rest of the day and see how they do. Any objections to this idea? Thanks!

Zach

No that sounds like a fine idea as long as it doesnt get to cold. Keep us updated on how it goes

Back