What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to foliar feed (properly)

Does anyone big (Lowe's, etc) carry the 16-16-16 Maxsea? I can only find the 2-1-3 (or whatever it is) stuff, which I think is a waste of time.

I'm not sure; but, I am going to try and make it to Lowe's right after work for some other stuff, and I'll take a look and report back.

For what it's worth, here's another progression of three consecutive N. sabre pitchers: http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q265/xvart/Nepenthes/sabre/?action=view&current=faca549d.pbw

If someone out there reading this has a N. sabre of similar size (~12 inch leafspan) or N. red dragon (~13 inch leafspan) and doesn't fertilize, could you post your most recent pitchers for comparisons sake. Not exactly scientific, since we most likely have different growing temps, lights, etc.; but it might help. Maybe there are some other plants between us all that we could compare for posteriors sake?

xvart.

Then what was that comment about wanting to get those blooms out of the fridge ASAP cause you kept almost passing out from the smell when getting a beer?? :-D :poke: :-D
Have you ever stuck your nose into a fridge with 20 cut S. flava blooms; ie with no air circulation? Not nearly as tolerable as its fragrance mixed with the sweet spring air. Plus I think there may have been a meat loaf in there that turned into a science project!!!

(shudders violently)

I'm not sure; but, I am going to try and make it to Lowe's right after work for some other stuff, and I'll take a look and report back.

I forgot to post about this. I looked but didn't see any Maxsea at Lowe's.

xvart.

I took a picture of the new third pitcher that is growing, but it is still growing and the size of the second one. I'll update in a few days when it opens and finishes hardening.

Here's the update, of the entire plant. You can see the three pitchers it currently has all together. As a reminder (since this thread is a little old), this was done with the fertilizing method I described earlier in this thread.

NRedDragon1-51008.jpg

xvart.

I know this is a really old thread but this comes up on web searches and I wanted to put in some facts about using organic fertilizer that I don't think was covered. The nutrients in any organic fertalizer has to go through a Chelation process in order for the minerals to move freely through the plant. This is done through bacterial break down of organic material in the soil. For example in organic hydroponics you have to age the reservoir water before so the colony of beneficial bacteria is strong and thriving to convert the organic nutrients into salts the plants can then up take.

Now maxsea for example is organic based with some chemical salt fertilizers in it as well. It is def a good brand to buy.
Other pure organic fertilizers like liquid seaweed / kelp will not have a direct effect on the plants till they are broken down by the microbes in the soil. That process could take weeks or more. So using a pure organic to foliar feed or to feed in a soilless media is not efficient. I do not know much about the microbes in bogs but I would assume the high acidity levels would hinder the growth of the microbes that are needed to convert organic's into chelated nutrients.

I would recommend using the known orchid foods and maxsea.

Back