What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bluebird

Rub my belly!
I know this gets asked alot, but I'm looking to repot my N.Gentle it's in a 8inch pot and is quite big it's growing well, but the media it's in is LFS/sphagnum peat so I'm hoping to put it into a 10 inch with a mix of better-gro orchid mix(orchidbark, charcoal and perlite) and Chilean LFS will this be ok mix and how much of each to use?

I think the Nepenthes has been in the mix for one to two years when I first got it home I noticed some roots showing so I put some LFS on top to keep the roots covered..

The parents of N.Gentle I think are Maxima and Fusca so I'm not sure if it likes more wetter mix or loose mix also I have a bag of pine bark mulch would it be ok to use with the nep mix the brand is pro's choice premium pine bark I bought it from homedepot and it has on it no fertilizers or chemicals added I didn't know if PBM was good for neps so I just want to make sure before I use it.

I'm also going to repot my sanguinea orange I got from andy's store into a 6inch pot with the mix above or should I just allow it to grow in it a year before doing anything?

Fine mix, and 1/1 is fine. My personal preference is 1/1/1 orchid mix/perlite/LFS, but you're is fine. Use pure LFS if you can't water as often as you'd like to to support more open medias.

Your plant is a no-fuss plant. Don't worry about it. I can't comment on pine bark, unless it's the same fir bark used in orchid media. Repotting your N. sanguinea is fine.

Man, what's up with me and double posts? Too bad we can't delete our own posts. Or at least green members.

Thanks for the help JustLikeAPill.

I'll use that mix, but I'm wondering is pinebark mulch ok to use with neps?

Just for second opinion's sake, I typically plant my Nepenthes in a 3:1 mix of LFS and perlite.

I dunno. I would assume it would be, but no one really uses run of the mill "pine" so I can't say "yes" or "no." I know pine needles can be used with Sarracenia.

One of our Canadian hobbyists swears by using pine needles as a medium for Neps, so why not pine bark.

Thanks for the help I'll add some pinebark mulch and see how it goes.

Back