What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UV radiation and pitcher plants

I grow most of my plants indoors on a windowsill during the winter. Since the window glass blocks over 90% of UVB and UVC rays, the plant's don't need to have a tolerance to full sunlight. What's the easiest and safest way to put nepenthes without having the leaves burn and how slowly should this be done?

I just got a merrilliana x truncata in the mail and it has red leaves due bright light. Does this still mean the leaves will burn if i were to put it outside in direct sunlight?
View attachment 320
View attachment 321
View attachment 322

My rafflesiana BE 99 is making normal sized pitchers but with little pigmentation. Does pitcher coloration occur if exposed to UV radiation?

As far as acclimation goes. You should go a little brighter every few weeks as tolerated by the plant. I am not sure about the pigmentation.

Anthocyan in plants is like melanin in humans. It protects us from UV rays, and the red color in some plants exposed to decent levels of UV is sort of like a "Sun tan". More light is going to provide more UV, and the plants increase anthocyan to protect them from it so you have deeper colors on the pitchers, and in really good light the leaves will turn from green to bronze/red/orange/etc. It generally takes a lot less light to make your plants' leaves turn red, so if your hybrid came from lower light that full sun, then yes it can burn.

Having plants at the sil with a screen window turned out to be agood compromise for Mexican pings. They turned pink but didn't burn. But that's with pings...

Ron, you're absolutely right! My spelling mistake.

Having plants at the sil with a screen window turned out to be agood compromise for Mexican pings. They turned pink but didn't burn. But that's with pings...

I'm thinking of putting some of my nepenthes in a little green house i recently got. The panels are some sort of plastic so i'm unsure if they block UV. Putting up my screen window would only supply light to the plants on the bottom shelf.

That plant looks like its gunna be a winner though. I got mine directly from Sam, but I guess genetically, it just didn't have it in it to get that red. Looks like it'll be an "M" type too...those are my favs.

Do you have any pics of it? Btw, should i kept the humidity high or is 50% fine?

pics of mine?

DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

Mine is "T" type

Back