What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing Nepenthes!

Unbelievable! It makes me want one!

Cool! Is it just a single pitcher or the entire plant!

whole pitcher! i would love one!!!!!!

I wonder if it stays all white in high light-levels? That's a pretty cool specimen.

-Daniel

wow isn't that nepenthes ventricosa "blanco"?

WOW!!!! Such a beautiful ivory trap! Is it a mutation, producing traps with no chlorophyll?

Super Cool!!!

Where can i get a cutting?!!?!??

Me want! Glad you found that rarity. I wasnt about to get started looking through those pics because I know how easy it is to lose track of time staring at neps :0o:

Um, I see there are lots of questions. Idk where to get a cutting, I just found a pic of it, I'm not sure if it's a mutation or if it has no Chlorophyll, Idk if it's ventricosa 'blanco' but I think that's what it said, and Idk if it stays like that because of high light.

The white ventricosa is said to be the "true" ventricosa by some, with the red/common one being some sort of introgressed hybrid. Ergo, it's not a mutation, just the way the plant is. I'm not sure if there's no chlorophyll, but the pitchers don't contribute too much to photosynthesis anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
You can only get a cutting from people that have had the porcelain/white form since it was imported in the 70s, or people that got a cutting from that, i.e.: you need friends in high places, and even then it'll probably be hard to find.

its also alot harder to cultivate than the ventricosa we have widely availiable. like humidity and cool conditons. its really awesome!!

Alex

Oh and btw, it's not ventricosa "blanco", its ventricosa [Blanco].
Blanco is not a varietal form...it's the botanist that described the species. Careful saying things like that and giving plants names that don't exist. It easily leads to confusion. The accepted (but my no means official) name of the form is ventricosa "porcelain".

oh my word! I would love to get ahold of one of those. I bet it would make some AWESOME crosses.

White pitcher with black teeth would be SWEET!

The only thing is that when you cross hamata with things it normally looses the teath. Look at preditor It doesn't haev those teeth. Just like crossing bicals with other things. It normaly looses the fangs. I think I have seen one cross that has had a single fang, but I think it was a backcross.

Back